A New Painting in Progress - Final image

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
thirdeyeh

A New Painting in Progress - Final image

Post by thirdeyeh » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:40 pm

I wanted to share with everyone here a painting in progress for my gallery opening in April. Now you'll be following me as I go as well so this will take about a week and six posts or so. So I hope you guys enjoy.

This is just a rough layout for the painting done in charcoal on a toned linen canvas. I'm thinking about masses, and how the figures relate to one another on the canvas. Is one too small next to the other and so forth. I am checking this against my reference. Next step will be massing. Check back tomorrow for that as it's a pretty quick step. Don't forget to tip your servers.
Last edited by thirdeyeh on Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:34 pm

The 2nd stage of a painting for me. This is where I just try to cover the canvas in a thin layer of paint and see the image as whole. I know however that I will be changing things a lot as I move forward. It's kinda like dancing when you're doing this, one step forward... two steps back. So If you guys notice anything let me know, but this thing is just gonna keep changingas I go along, so hopefully I'll fix all of the little problems I'm seeing in it already over the next few days. Hope you enjoy. Sorry its a day late, it was rainging here real bad and I couldn't get outside to take a picture.

jshamblin

Post by jshamblin » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:50 pm

It's looking good, thirdeyeh. It's nice to be able to see it all come together.

househatke

Post by househatke » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:03 pm

Hey Michael, it's great to see you recording this progression in a thread! I stopped by your site and found that you're quite the painter. Good stuff.

You're off to a fine start with this one. My only suggestion so far is that the way the girl is currently situated seems like she's missing some support. How to explain... it looks like she needs to be resting on the heel of her left hand (the one on our right) rather than have it fully extended. Too much weight for the fingertips. In the sketch it doesn't show so much because she seems a little more centered back on her hips. Does this make sense?

The guys gesture seems very natural.

What kind of references are you working with?

ZidaneTheKing

Post by ZidaneTheKing » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:35 am

I like the stuff on your website, it reminds me of Edward Hopper in a very good way.

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:56 pm

Thank you everyone for the compliments. Househatke thanks for the obseravation That's important that you note that and brought attention to it. While in my gesture I may have glossed over her arm, it will become very important as the painting moves forward, as it shows where her weight is, and helps to give a sense of mass to her. So now I'll be sure to pay close attention to that.

The references I am using are photographs taken of live models. I lit the scene and had a general concept in mind when it started (guy with a guitar and girl on the floor singing/looking at sheet music). But as often happens they just kinda relaxed and fell into a very cool pose with each other, which will become more clear as I go along.

The next step should be up on Tuesday night I think. I'm enjoying hearing feed back on this as it unfolds.

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:55 pm

The third step...

Now I'm starting to focus on color. Some proprtions feel like they may be off when I look at them on my references, but I know I will adress these as I go along. Right now I just want to try and be expressive with color and see the painting as awhole. I'm thinking about values and how I can inject colors throughout the canvas that have the same values.

Sorry its a day or so late, but work hasn't been the easiest thing this week.

Well here's a pic of me painting like its going out of style... note the awesome sword in the background that I use to slay dragons with.

Muffin

Post by Muffin » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:46 pm

Oh, thats a nice, big canvas.

:p

it really is! I like big paintings.

nice seeing hwo the progress goes, - Its getting better! One thing to look out for is the girls expression - she doesnt seem to like whatever he's leering off at the moment. :P But i like the roughness you have going. :)

campy22

Post by campy22 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:30 am

OH..This is nice. I like seeing that progression. It makes me wish I knew how to paint too. Great job!

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:49 pm

Ok there should have been another step between this one, but alas I had to work on it and not slow down, the gallery opening is in a month. So no pictures of that step, sorry.

Here the painting is 85% done and now we are just focusing on the details from here on out. Painting is like fixing the focus on a camera. Everything kinda starts blurry and as you get closer to finishing you get things more in focus as it were. But after this step all that is left really is just to check my details and think of the painting as a painting. Meaning I lay my references aside and start letting the artist in me take over, while still remaining true to the references I took.

So I hope you enjoy this step of the piece.

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:37 pm

ok final image. At least for now. The background didn't come out very well in the picture. It should be a little more grey than that, but it's close nonetheless. I also wanted to show you guys another piece that I am working on. You can see it on the easel in the picture of me a bove. I hope you guys liked this.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and encouragement. 8)

Swizec

Post by Swizec » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:48 pm

Wow nice, although I liked the previous step better because the colouring felt more natural and less orange ... but this could just as well be due to lighting conditions when you took the photo to show us (these are photos of the illo right?)

Love the flower picking woman, very lovely natural piece with just the right amount of motion.

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:04 pm

yeah swizec the pic is in need of help. I will retake the picture here in the next day and repost it. Taking pictures of oil paintings is very tricky. The warmth in the painting is still all there. But the background came out way too cold and gray than it is in life, even with photoshop manipulation.

archi

oil paintings

Post by archi » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:54 am

does anyone here need training on oil paintings . plse contact me at: [email protected] for further details. thanks ...

Muffin

Post by Muffin » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:09 pm

i really like the flower picking lady aswell. Love the roughness in the brush strokes and the lines going on in the background.