A New Painting

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
thirdeyeh

A New Painting

Post by thirdeyeh » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:05 pm

Hey everyone this is a painting I've gotten underway on for a gallery exhibition I have coming up in two months. I wanted to share it with everyone and get some feedback. Let me know what you think. This piece however is not finished. Things need to be tightened a bit.

Threshold

Post by Threshold » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:29 pm

wow.... that's awesome. Oil paint? you've got some really good lighting and anatomy here.
I DLed this immediately.
Thanks for posting this!

Swizec

Post by Swizec » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:22 am

THere's only two thigns that bother me in this great piece, the window looks like it doesn't align with the wall, yet there is no crack anywhere to show that it's open. And secondly, the window is as opaque as the wall and doesn't look like anybody coudl actually see through it ...

Still, oil paintings and those who can do them are cool.

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:08 am

Thanks guys. Swizec: Yeah the window is something I am really looking hard at it and trying to decide what to do. I like the simplicity of it but at the same time it may not work. I'll be sure to update the finished painting when it's done. I appreciate the crits though and the compliments.

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:52 am

Oh I forgot to answer, yes this is a oil painting on linen canvas. I just finished it yesterday. I'll update a new image soon.

Mbellamy

Post by Mbellamy » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:13 pm

I love the look of this one. The colors and strokes are very nice. :)

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:00 pm

here's the 'final' painting as it stands. I may have a lot of work to do on it over the next few weeks though. I'd love to hear what you think of it finished.

Josh-Ulrich

Post by Josh-Ulrich » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:38 pm

I had to download these and see them side by side to get a good comparison. The final version is definately an improvement.

I hadn't noticed it at first, but the origional painting had a lot of similar values. Darkening the floor and brightening that window really gives it some nice contrast and a good value range.

Great improvement Mike, can't wait to see the real thing!

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:15 pm

Thanks Josh. Yeah the corrections were subtle in most ways but often times the thing that's not working in a painting is something small. I'm definately happier with it. And it looks pretty awesome over my couch too.

ZidaneTheKing

Post by ZidaneTheKing » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:40 pm

That's a great final painting, but I was going to say that your first version of the painting is better than my final paintings. Very good.