"Robot" by Range Murata et al -- ???

General Discussion
Tony

"Robot" by Range Murata et al -- ???

Post by Tony » Fri May 12, 2006 7:33 pm

So, I saw volume two of this in the comic book store today. Here are the amazon listings:

Volume One
Volume Two

I couldn't peek inside cause they were wrapped and I didn't feel like bothering anyone, but I should have, because based on what I can see, it looks gorgeous. And racy.

Does anyone have these books? Or know anything about them? A cursory Google search hasn't revealed much in the way of previews. Are they all art/no story or a better balance?

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sat May 13, 2006 7:05 pm

Ben carries these at Nucleus. The covers look pretty, and some of the interior artwork is nice, but a lot of the work tries way too hard to be whimsical or edgy for my tastes... I'll have to give it another look, but I do remember getting an empty feeling from the work inside...

Nick

Post by Nick » Sun May 14, 2006 2:33 am

I bought the first issue a while back. There’s a pretty diverse selection of visual treatments inside, which makes the book quite interesting in that respect. Some of the layouts leave a lot to be desired, some border on messy, breaking down into visual noise. The stories however, like Kazu mentioned seemed forced. Some are just downright obscure. I haven’t read all of them and to be honest I don’t really feel compelled to do so. If you buy this, it’ll be more for the artwork rather than the story.

Ayo

Post by Ayo » Mon May 15, 2006 7:07 am

Kazu wrote:Ben carries these at Nucleus. The covers look pretty, and some of the interior artwork is nice, but a lot of the work tries way too hard to be whimsical or edgy for my tastes... I'll have to give it another look, but I do remember getting an empty feeling from the work inside...
I just got a half-price copy last night at a used bookstore and so far I agree with you. I have quite a bit more of it to read through though. It IS pretty, though, I'll give them this.
I can't fly.

mr cow

Post by mr cow » Mon May 15, 2006 10:19 am

i've had those on my wishlist at amazon for a while now just because of the little amount of art i've seen (plus i like robots :)). no idea what the stories are like though. be nice if i could find some to flip through.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Mon May 15, 2006 11:40 am

I also look at Robot as being more of an artbook than a manga anthology, but yeah, it's super pretty. I really do wish some of the stories had more meat to them, though- the art can certainly support it.

I've also been hearing from a few people that the second volume has some art that really pushes the loli-/child- nudity boundaries (as much as I try to understand it, it's really not my thing), so be warned.

I'd definitely suggest flipping through these books first before spending your hard-earned cash on it.

bannister

Post by bannister » Mon May 15, 2006 12:55 pm

I bought the first one, I regret it.
I LOVE Range Murata's work, but all his crew have some kind of tendencies to go a bit edgy concerning the Loli/child thing. Stories are mostly crap, art is fine but no more. I was disappointed because they're all great artist but they're still doing the same thing than 10 years ago, they didn't evolved (for most of them).They're almost all coming from the "adult manga" scene, and you can feel it, reading this book.
I suggest to buy the author's artbooks instead, it's a better investment. Good point is that this Robot book is quite cheap.

Another thing i don't like is the price of Murata's books (more objects then books). THis guy is making some kind of discrimination by money and that doen't please me. No cheap versions of his work is available. That means if you can't afford to pay 130$ per book, you can't have access to his work. This is no good. Despite that, he's a genius and an amazing designer.
But damn you Murata ! make cheap versions of your books, you little snobish man !

That's all for today Tony. :)

Tony

Post by Tony » Mon May 15, 2006 1:28 pm

Wow, thanks for the heads-up, everyone. Bann, I'll have to look into his other stuff!

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Mon May 15, 2006 2:49 pm

bannister wrote:Another thing i don't like is the price of Murata's books (more objects then books). THis guy is making some kind of discrimination by money and that doen't please me. No cheap versions of his work is available. That means if you can't afford to pay 130$ per book, you can't have access to his work. This is no good. Despite that, he's a genius and an amazing designer.
But damn you Murata ! make cheap versions of your books, you little snobish man !
Yeah, I feel exactly the same way as you. I saw a reprint of his Futurhythm art book going for 70 bucks at a convention one time, and even then, I couldn't justify dropping that much money on a book that basically amounted to 80 pages of illustrations (the book had twice that number of pages, but the illos were printed single-sided to each page). I looooove Murata's work as well, but at that price, I'd probably be happier buying some other comics that I've been coveting for a much longer time (like those Calvin & Hobbes and Little Nemo HC collections).

Nunumi

Post by Nunumi » Sat May 27, 2006 3:45 pm

If you like Range Murata's stuff, you'd be better buying the second one ^^ cuz in the first one he only did a really short comic. But well there is a very interesting comic made by Yoshitoshi ABe in this one. That's why I bought it. But if it wasn't for that one, I would only have bought the second volume.

E

Post by E » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:04 pm

I bought a Range book that was wrapped a few months ago... big mistake, turned out to be a fashion book thing that he did some designs for, ended up paying 40 bones for a book in which his art was only 45% of its contents.

SLICK stuff in it, but... gah. I was SO heated.
--------------
dookjooky.com