School book illos

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
JP

School book illos

Post by JP » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:09 am

So I decided to share some of my school book illos with you lot. As I've mentioned earlier, the client has kept on a tight leash for the previous months and I've been working basically seven days a week. The rate has been about 8-11 illos per day, including corrections and sketches and all that mess.

Anyways, the book will include about 130-150 illos. They range from big whole spread ones to small, simple pics. Here's a few examples:

This one's about correct grammar.

The book has a horror theme in one of the chapters. That's why the vampires and ghosts. This one's dealing with grammar aswell. (In a sentence the subject can be either a) Out in the open, b) Merged, c) In hiding or d) Gone)

The difference a comma makes. A panda eats shoots and leaves. Or... A panda eats, shoots and leaves.

Hupselipup

Post by Hupselipup » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:29 am

These look awesome. Even though it sounds like a hell of a job it looks like you're having fun with it.

A textbook that features a gun slinging panda bear.....I want to learn finnish.
Martin

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:41 am

These are so cool beyond words. 8-11 illustrations a day? That's nuts! How you manage to do such a good job and keep up (and in colour!) is a mystery to me.

Jonathon Dalton
A Mad Tea-Party

narishatar

Post by narishatar » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:18 pm

Thank heavens for Lynne Truss!

Marty

Post by Marty » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:26 pm

these are great! nice colors :)

Vince

Post by Vince » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:07 pm

I like these a lot. They have nice atmosphere, an appealing palette, and the characters are all fun and expressive. 8)

Not to mention that you're FAST. 8 - 11 illustrations per day??? :shock: Is that what's expected?

Captain Uglyhead

Post by Captain Uglyhead » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:17 pm

Funny thing, I was browsing the bookstore a few days ago, and there was a book with that very title "Eats Shoots and Leaves." There was even a panda on a ladder, trying to paint in(or erase?) a comma between the first two words.

Your style seems so familiar! I've either seen your work before, or you're heavily influnced by someone else I've seen before. It's great.
It follows the continuity of the third Ziganokum movie. It stars Shrub Mikanore as Ziganokum and Bizzorum. With Johothin Griggor as Nebulox.

Justin

Post by Justin » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:14 pm

haha! awesome! I really want to make that gun slinging panda my avatar...
-Justin

Joe Shig

Post by Joe Shig » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:43 pm

BAAHAHA! Thse made me laugh. :D I loooove the panda!

The dentures and the ironing board are also very funny.

Keep it up!
--Joe.

JP

Post by JP » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:43 am

Thanks for the kind comments, you all!

Narishatar and Captain Uglyhead: The panda illo is indeed about Lynne Truss' "Eats Shoots and Leaves" book. It sounded like a very cool book. It's a shame I only had an excerpt and something of an introduction about it.

Vince: Actually 13 illos are expected... NOT! Only joking, for god's sake. The truth is, just between us here in Flight, the client has messed up the schedule and timeframe completely. I work best when I get to work on 1-3 illos a day (depending on their size and need of detail, etc.), but now I had to try keep up with the pace in order to give time for laying the pages out in Indesign and such. (Luckily I'm not doing that...)

narishatar

Post by narishatar » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:19 am

When you say these are for a school book, are you talking about a text book? That seems to fit until the horror-esque pictures come along. If you can't give out too many details, no worries.
narishatar

ethan

Post by ethan » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:59 am

I laughed out loud, so hard, when I saw that panda. So great.

Plognark

Post by Plognark » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:04 am

These are all just excellent. I agree, that Panda is the coolest thing I've seen in months. :mrgreen:

BigJKO

Post by BigJKO » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:11 am

Man, that panda is just awesome.

I also love the lighting and colouring in the illo where the Yeti is trying to get into the tent.

JP

Post by JP » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:45 pm

narishatar wrote:When you say these are for a school book, are you talking about a text book? That seems to fit until the horror-esque pictures come along. If you can't give out too many details, no worries.
narishatar
Yes, this one (with color pics) is the text book. It has texts and exercises and all that. Each text book has an exercise book to go with it, though. I'll still have to illustrate those aswell (they're in b/w)... And after that the teacher's edition, with the answers and tips and all. :D

The "chapters" have specific themes (movies, horror, tv, music, sci-fi, fantasy, etc), just to make things interesting for the students.

Thanks for the encouragement!