Nina

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
Biscuit Maker

Nina

Post by Biscuit Maker » Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:50 pm

Dropping off a Nina. Hello to all. Kazu, thanks for the upgrade. I see that your research have marked Westcan a good printer to consider. I'm getting quotes from them on books.

R.

Clank

Post by Clank » Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:46 pm

Oh man, that's cool. I really really like the style and the scratchiness of it. I love the cat in the satchel thing, too.

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:21 pm

Yet another beautiful Nina, thanks for sharing Ronnie.

Quick question I just thought of....are you and Enrico working on Fragments2 for this year's con?

ChadTHX1138

Post by ChadTHX1138 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:24 pm

Where have you been Hiding? This is the cozy forum...But I have suspicions it will grow ginormously real soon.

Awesome work cant wait to see another adventure.
Chad Townsend

dan

Post by dan » Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:33 pm

Nice drawing, I love the gestural quality.

Just by the look on her face and the position of her hands, makes me think someone is in for some pain. :)

Dan

Rad Sechrist

re

Post by Rad Sechrist » Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:36 pm

Great stuff, and I love the fragments book.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:41 pm

Welcome here, Ronnie! WestCan does do reputable work. They print much of the fantagraphics stuff, and Chris Ware's books. They have an eye for quality, that's for sure. Their quotes are a tad bit high, though.

Anyway, great drawing! Another wonderful Nina image from her creator...

Biscuit Maker

Post by Biscuit Maker » Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:29 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys. This is rather comfy over here. I hope to respond in more detail, but the end of the workweek is upon me and I'm getting these last posts in from work.

Have a great weekend, everyone.

Here's a parting post, Oekaki of Nina.

R.

Clank

Post by Clank » Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:45 pm

Another cool image of Nina, Biscuit Maker. What exactly is oekaki? I've seen that other places... Is it just pixelly anime type art? Sorry for my ignorance.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:46 pm

Another beauty. Simple is best. Awesome color choices, Ronnie. I love the use of lavender, and the subtle colored lines.

jrr

Post by jrr » Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:26 pm

kick ass art there ronnie

rodguen

Post by rodguen » Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:06 pm

:D
( do not tell my wife......i'm in love with Nina !!!!.......shhhh!!!!)

r.

Finnegan

Post by Finnegan » Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:14 am

these are fantastic Ronnie. it's great to see you post here

=BoB=

Biscuit Maker

Post by Biscuit Maker » Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:25 am

Clank--Thank you. That online drawing program doesn't allow you to do much more so it pares down your drawing tricks to a handful. Nina always has most of her belongings in that backpack. In her dreamworld, Peg, the cat shows up. I'm hoping to have these states collide.

Dik pose--Thanks. My pleasure to be here and contribute. Fragments? Well, let's put it this way, we have enough compelling reasons to put out another one and we are dedicated to doing it. But the main books come first. Mia #2 and Paper Biscuit's second full issue. So, ask us again in two months. We're hoping to make F2, or run aground trying.

Chad--hey, another familiar face. It's already quite the place to hang

Nucleardan--Thanks, Nuke. This was an Oekaki post that was a follow up to an earlier one. It was a view of Nina through her apartment window. Someone commented that it felt like we were Peeping Toms. So, I did the next scene where she finds out.

Rad--Thanks for getting Fragments. Both Enrico and I still get caught smiling about what that project borne of impulse gives us in return. We had fears that it would be viewed as another vanity project, lost in the sea of others like it. But we are steadilly still selling it and getting responses like, "I am in need of Fragments! I have loaned out my own copy many times and so have the other folks who bought them." Warms the heart, dunnit?

Kazu--Yep, Westcan sure has its reputation to precede it. And they are more expensive. I'm too lazy to shop around. I may just go ahead and have PB done through them. I'll post updates.

Clank--Oekaki is a drawing program on the net. There are some really formidable ones that I can't figure out (I'm lazy). The Sketchbook Sessions' Shane board has one.

http://w4.oekakies.com/p/shane/p.cgi

The other one I used to visit is Bladecham.com. He has it in his link, OK-BBs, that's Oekaki Bulletin Board (I'm guessing).

http://www1.j-speed.net/~do-jin/cgi/bla ... icture.cgi

So, without an drawing application you can draw and post at once and you don't need space to house the drawing yourself before posting. It takes some getting used to because it is very basic. It has layers and different kinds of brushes and you can manipulate the color plus a near limitless undo. I don't know how to use most of it. But it helps me keep focus on what's important as an exercise--without all the Photoshop muscle. My one warning about these boards, most of the ones I know are Japanese and they have no qualms about very sexually implicit drawings and even more questionable is the underage girl proclivity.

Doujin Hoops has a page that has links to more.

http://www.do-jin.org/

Tread carefully. I'd stay with the Shane board one (see that tiny link at the very bottom of the bulletin board?)

Kazu--I have few palletes I default to. This is one of my usual ones. Uesugi, the master, has so many of these color symphonies that he weaves with what seems like effortless grace. Sigh.

Jrr--Thanks. I hope I can get more time to just doodle. Maybe after I finish the book. Warm up for Fragments 2!

Rodolphe--You and me both. I won't tell if you keep mums about it, or we're both getting the rolling pin treament. Besides, I happen to think we're a couple of lucky guys with our respective better halves. They're babes!

Finnegan--Thanks, Bob. Glad to be hear. "Comfy" sure describes the place. All you need now are floppy sofas and coffee. Pass the shortbread.

Thanks all.

Ronnie

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:52 am

Ahhhh yes. Master Uesugi. He's my desktop mainstay. That man can compose like nobody's business. So rarely does my jaw drop the way mine does when I look at his drawings. It's really difficult to think of a more masterful contemporary illustrator...