How do YOU color?!

General Discussion
Clank

How do YOU color?!

Post by Clank » Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:47 pm

I am horrible at CG. I was wondering how you professional-type people color your pictures on this crazy contraption we call a comptuer. Could you tell me your process, or is it top secret, classified information? Any help would be great!

ChadTHX1138

Post by ChadTHX1138 » Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:54 pm

No secrets...If you dont have a wacom get one and just keep drawing and looking at what influences you, you only get better by doing it.

There is no one right way, there is no right tool (except a wacom) to get good as an artist. Tools are a means to and end, how you use them is your preference. just ask questions when you hit a road block on somthing technical, Right now you are asking something that is just a general statement but when you get to specific's you are likely to get the answer's you need.
Chad Townsend

Mothos

Post by Mothos » Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:22 pm

I am here to reinforce the fact that you should have a tablet (Wacom's are the best and buy the biggest you can afford). Plus, study colour theory! I'm serious, ya gotta know your chromatic greys and complimentaries and colour wheels and opaques and transparents and all that stuff! Everything else will just fall into place with practice and preference.

Yenner

Post by Yenner » Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:14 pm

I have an insane dream of never touching a computer for any drawing I do. That's one of the reasons I haven't posted anything of mine here, I don't think I'm worthy, and I don't own a scanner.

I tried for months to get my stuff to look good with photoshop, but it just hated me... I never got what I wanted.
"I am at two with nature." --Woody Allen

Clank

Post by Clank » Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:32 pm

Thanks you guys. Mothos and Chad- I DO have a tablet. HA! I have a Wacom Intuos2 6x8.

Yenner- I have actually never CGed anything. I just want to try it. Does anyone know how Kazu colored his Flight poster? The coloring on that this is incredible.

Mothos

Post by Mothos » Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:48 pm

I am jealous for I am poor and have the smallest, featureless tablet in existence. The Wacom Postage Stampous 2. Pity me.

Whichever program you use, to preserve your lineart, isolate it on it's own layer and colour in the background.

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:58 pm

How much do these wacom tablets go for? I'm still doing things the old fashioned way on Mario Paint for the Super NES.

Ok not that bad, but I'm interested in going this route too... but just for fun.

Mothos

Post by Mothos » Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:12 pm

Wacom's base model goes for about $100 US (I think). Worth every penny.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:57 am

Clank> I use the same tablet you do and I used photoshop 6 to color that piece. No fancy brushes. Mostly hard round brushes with 100 percent opacity. Glass is the only thing that gets the special treatment, what with it being rendered on a layer with a hard light filter. Dark colors at 50 to 60 percent opacity seems to pass as glass. I personally would rather find a better way to render it since I think transparencies look hokey, but that's what I use for now...

t i m

Post by t i m » Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:21 pm

I learned my process from Jake Parker's website (can't directly link it so..Sketches -> Step by Step)

Also Kazu...I guess I have a question for ya...After I lay the base colors on my character with the paintbucker tool...when I'm shading I set the airbrush to multiply, and use 30-40 opacity and like 70 flow...When you said 100 opacity and hard round..what were you refering to, shading or base colors?

I figured I'd ask cause..

Kazu's painting skills > Mine in every facet :lol:

Clank

Post by Clank » Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:11 pm

Thanks so much for all the help you guys! Now I just have to make a drawing that I actually want to color. Thanks again.

RobotHero

Post by RobotHero » Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:26 pm

t i m wrote:Also Kazu...I guess I have a question for ya...After I lay the base colors on my character with the paintbucker tool...when I'm shading I set the airbrush to multiply, and use 30-40 opacity and like 70 flow...When you said 100 opacity and hard round..what were you refering to, shading or base colors?
Well, his shading usually has fairly sharp edges, so I would wager he's not using an airbrush for that.

I'm going to finally get a drawing tablet for my home computer. I got a decent paying job that will last over a month, so I'll be able to get a pretty decent one.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:26 pm

ChadTHX1138 wrote:There is no one right way, there is no right tool (except a wacom) to get good as an artist.
I guess I must be a bad artist then... I haven't been able to afford a tablet, so I colour everything with a mouse. While I agree about having the right tools for the job (and a Wacom would certainly be nice), there's something to be said about making do with what's available. That, and I never like to lock myself into one way of doing things -- experimenting with different techniques can be fun!

davi
Flight Moderator

Post by davi » Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:10 am

for certain illustration styles wacoms are far from needed

nsoehardi

Post by nsoehardi » Fri Mar 26, 2004 4:58 pm

for certain illustration styles wacoms are far from needed
True, I currently work in vector and I just lay down flat colour in the particular shape I need.
meh. m.e.h. meh.