Wonderful Days

Discuss films.
shojogirl

Wonderful Days

Post by shojogirl » Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:33 pm

I saw it today and it was pretty good. It seemed to me they blew all their budget on the special effects and cgi and did the animation a little shoddily, but overall it was a good picture.
I wish ...

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:16 pm

I've been wondering about this film for awhile. I saw a trailer for it maybe 2 years ago and thought, "hmmm....the Koreans have been holding back on us." So it sounds like from your review, it's only mediocre? damn.

Yenner

Post by Yenner » Thu Feb 12, 2004 8:52 pm

Does anyone know where I can find a list of screenings for this film? Living in Alberta, my odds of it coming here are lower, but I would like to find out...
"I am at two with nature." --Woody Allen

shojogirl

Post by shojogirl » Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:00 am

It's not mediocre, but it isn't excellent either. There are parts of it that are truly breathtaking, the long motorcycle rides and all and the music is really good. It's an evening well spent.
I wish ...

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:10 am

so what's the movie about?

shojogirl

Post by shojogirl » Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:25 am

There's been another flood on earth and the only surviving city complex, Ecoban, thrives on pollution. The refugees from all over the world live outside the city, in "Marr" and are basically slaves. It is always raining, so one Dr. Noah wants to turn the "Delos" system off (I think that's the system that turns pollution into energy, but the particulars of this are never explained). His agent, Shua infiltrates Delos and meets Jay, a guard. They were friends as children until he disappeared. Now Jay is with this other dude (whose name I didn't catch) but she still wants Shua. At the same time, the Delos system is running low on energy, so the governor wants to turn Marr into a wasteland for more pollution. Struggle ensues to save Marr and turn off Delos, lots of chasing and heartbreak. Should I spoil the end?
I wish ...

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:07 pm

Sounds exciting. Please don't spoil the end. :D

Thanks!

Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:11 am

Yenner wrote:Does anyone know where I can find a list of screenings for this film? Living in Alberta, my odds of it coming here are lower, but I would like to find out...

sorry yenner for the delayed response.

if you're in alberta.... chances of it being shown there... are not good. :(

but i'll take a look see.

ChadTHX1138

Post by ChadTHX1138 » Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:09 pm

shojogirl: They also used miniatures in the film as well... what a mix.

I will sound like I'm bragging but I kinda think this story is interesting... but I was fortunate to visit the studio making the film,( Tin House ) when they were finishing it all up. that movie wether you know it or not had the whole Korean animation communities future riding on the back of that film.

The Korean government was paying %50 to all U.S. films and TV series that were made in thier country with thier studio's, WHAT A DEAL!! Right? anyway the government knew that Wonderful Days was supposed to be this big budget KOREAN film that would be this huge success. The government basically said that if an animated film made completely by thier people for a world audience didnt do as expected, that subsidies would no longer be given out to support any production in that industry...well needless to say, IT BOMBED.

I havent seen the whole thing through and have only heard what friends of mine in Korea have told me.
Chad Townsend

Yenner

Post by Yenner » Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:25 pm

Stick: I'm amazed you're even trying, It'll probably be an exercise in futility, but thank you very much.

Cowboy Bebop came out here almost 6 months after the rest of the world.

Princess mononoke was out on DVD months before it showed here in a theatre, and those are the only two anime-in-theatre dealies here in Edmonton I can remember.
"I am at two with nature." --Woody Allen

shojogirl

Post by shojogirl » Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:06 am

I left out the miniatures. The thing is, if you're not thinking very quickly with that movie, you'll find yourself going "huh? huh? what the hell is this all about?" but of course that's the problem with subtitles.
I wish ...

Johnny Neat

It's Shame

Post by Johnny Neat » Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:45 am

Darn, It's a shame it didn't do so well. I had huge hopes for what they (Tin House) were trying to do. I was loving the teaser and full trailers I saw :shock: and now I get the "It's okay at best routine". It's just a shame. :cry: Well, at least I have master Otomo's next masterpiece "Steam Boy" coming:P (Can anyone get more info on that :?:) Anyhow, among that film, we have some other must see projects like "Ghost in the Shell 2" and the new "Appleseed". I mean why mention the obvious stuff :?: like anything Pixar :!:
Visit the GK Movie Watch Blog at www.Galaxykid.blogspot.com