FLIGHT

Flight 8 in stores Summer 2011 - www.flightcomics.com
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Re: 6-Commando
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:00 am 

Thanks, once again, Joost! I was of two minds about the tanks, frankly, as I kind of had to compromise on the detail (as I've done all over this comic) in favor of getting the thing done "on time." The latter is in quotes, of course, because it's just me, and it's not like I have huge crowds of people beating down my door to get at the story! But I think the color really brought out the tanks and they blended into the general "Saturday Morning Cartoon" feel I've been trying to get for this particular story. And the last panel, I agree, was probably the strongest. The first and second are a little half-assed, though, I'm afraid, in the final analysis. With a week's hindsight on it, the dead-on head shot of Maj. Rucker feels weak, and is one of many things I hope to rectify later.

Thanks again!

--M

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:05 pm 

Colors are looking good!

About the head-on shot of maj. Rucker, I wouldn't change it if I were you. I can't believe someone is bothered by the fact it is a little less perfect compared to the rest of the page. In fact the awesome tank and shot of colonel Haulley need to be balanced out by some "simpler" panels. You really should wait until chapter one is finished before you start making a list of things to revise. If you revise immediately after finishing a page you most of the time would want to revise almost all of it (at least I would).

Give it time to sink in.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:12 pm 

I appreciate the advice, Joost, and it's well bethought! Frankly, things are still in flux anyway, so there's little reason to be thinking about editing now anyhow! It's a backwards way to go about a graphic novel, I guess, being so experimental, but it's working for me, so I'm just running with it!

Speaking of which, the next page is up!

--M

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:28 pm 

cool stuff, man. keep it up!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:42 pm 

So, I went off a-traveling, and Flight denizens Joost and Gunwhale rose to the occasion and filled in for me! And HOW! Their guest art was not only much appreciated, but was really stunning, and I wanted to take the opportunity here to direct everyone to it! These guys blew me away, and I can't thank them enough for it! So please, check it out:

ImageImage

You guys, and in fact, everyone on the forum here, have been a great support, and I've never even REALLY met any of you! Bu thank you anyway! Also, check out Joost's site this week - he posted his progress sketches for the illustration he did, and they're really quite something!

--M

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:22 pm 

This project goes forward apace. I am particularly happy with the current page.

I've gotten a lot of really great comments and support from lots of Flight forum contributors, so thanks everyone! And if you haven't yet, I hope you'll stop by and check out the rest of it! The first chapter is coming close to completion, and every visitor counts!

--M

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:49 pm 

whoa! great stuff man! Your art is so great I especially love your vehicles. Keep it up I think you've really got something here :)

"We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams" ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:05 pm 

Matthewart - I'm glad you like it! I have actually never been very good at drawing machinery, so this is kind of my way of forcing myself to do it.

I grew up in a pretty militaristic time, and the hallmark of my childhood mythology was G.I. Joe. The metaphor of all-American soldiers battling against a horde of faceless, interchangeable enemies bent on world domination was not lost on any of us, I can tell you, even though we were only eight years old, at best. So setting a cartoon-style story in an actual Cold-War-on-the-Brink is kind of my homage to the era, albeit with characters who are far more run-of-the-mill than G.I. Joe's larger-than-life heroics.

Anyhow, thanks! And this, by the way, is the latest page. I'm back on my weekly schedule! Took a lot of effort - building is getting busier these days!

And thanks to everyone who's been reading! The support I've gotten from everyone has been just great!

--M

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:29 am 

Excellent page M!

Quote:
I have actually never been very good at drawing machinery

I can tell you this my friend, at this point in time you are very good at drawing machinery!

Like I said before, I really love panel 5, the sudden movement indicates a very assertive action with a blown up tank as a result in panel 6. The print on top of the tank armor (in perspective!) is a really nice touch, not many artists go all this way when it comes to consistently putting the details where they belong. Love it!

Keep ‘m coming!

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:15 pm 

I really appreciate the support, Joost! And all these machines are starting to get to be second nature to me now. Actually, I've begin to think of them as more like characters as I go on. And of course, one of them actually IS a character, so...

By the way, I'm glad you notice the insignia - It's always a pain to add in, especially when you have crowd scenes with several dozen of the things to be added on. So to hav it be noticeable as a design element is certialy reassuring!

So anyhow, this is the latest page, and I'm really pleased with how it came out.

I've gotten a lot of great support throughout, from folks on Flight and elsewhere, so thanks to everyone who's been so supportive so far!

--M

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:16 pm 

I'm one of the fortunate ones, to have a great deal of work on hand these days. Have had little time to post, though - only lurking, and gazing in envious silence at the consistently awesome comics still going up here, albeit at a slightly lower rate than last year at this time.

In any case, my own comic continues apace, hurtling towards the end of chapter 1. This is the latest page, number 29.

And again, as ever, all the support I've gotten has been great, so thanks!

--M

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:58 pm 

I hadn't realized it was more than eight months since the last time I took a look at this forum. Slow, maybe, but still looks like cool stuff going on around here.

My comic exploration 6-Commando continues, well into the second chapter now. This is a little sequence I'm working on now, and am rather proud of.

It's a dream sequence, but made a very interesting conceptual change of pace from the usual "heavy sci-fi military ACTION!" my comic is known for (however narrowly.)

Things look a little bit spare on art forums in general these days, unfortunately, but one can't complain and not try to contribute. So this is me doing my part!

--M

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:34 pm 

This is pretty amazing. I really like the most recent pages especially. It's really come together.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:51 am 

Thanks! This has been a really interesting project for me, and the last few pages are ones I'm particularly happy with. I appreciate your taking the time to check it out!

--M

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:39 pm 

'm on schedule so far, so the next one will be ready next Monday. I'm glad it's finding a good reception!