Steamvolt: web comic

Post comics.
Plognark

Steamvolt: web comic

Post by Plognark » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:14 pm

It's been ages since I posted anything here, so here's a web comic I've started recently. Mostly it's been on Deviantart, but I'm going to set up a proper site for it and all other than my dumpy old blog.

There's a bit of an odd transition from page 4 to 5 with the text, since I decided to go with a proper font rather than torture people with my peculiar hand writing.

evn

Re: Steamvolt: web comic

Post by evn » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:09 am

Very nice; there's a clear sense of place already. Get a website as soon as possible; this needs to be seen! Also I need to know where to go to read more of it.

Seth Wolfshorndl

Post by Seth Wolfshorndl » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:01 pm

I particularly like your background details. And your coloring has a really interesting texture to it!
Image Image

Plognark

Post by Plognark » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:32 pm

Thanks!

Currently I'm putting them up on my deviantart account (http://plognark.deviantart.com/), but I already own steamvolt.com so I just need to get off my duff and get a site up and running. :wink:

I'm a little behind on the sixth page, but I'm grinding it out right now.

Plognark

Post by Plognark » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:12 pm

Huzzah! Page 6 finally!

I'm aware of the typo; in the process of fixing it >.<

Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:24 pm

I much preferred your hand-lettering to the bold sans-serif typeface you replaced it with. All you might need would be a slightly wider pen in some places (maybe a flat steel calligraphic pen? A B2?) and I'd go with it - it was natural and spontaneous, and far easier to read next to your artwork, which is soft and highly stylized. This is one vote to bring back the hand-lettering, anyhow!

A nice-looking comic, as well. I think you should set it up on its own site, rather than a deviantart archive. It's a succinct story and would be easier to access (and read!) that way. Besides, you clearly have a grip on the pacing and story, so frankly I think it ought to go online! And a regularized schedule can really cause things to move along at a clip - you'll be surprised what it does for your motivation!

Anyway, take the website idea for what it's worth, but seriously, here's hoping you go back to hand lettering though, for real. Seriously.

--M
Image Image

Plognark

Post by Plognark » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:22 pm

Thanks for the input!

After working at it for a bit, the time savings aren't all that huge; I do waste a bit of time positioning and spacing and such. I'm still in the process of setting up a proper site; hopefully that should be off the ground this weekend. Just need some intro art and a decent theme and such to get things going.

MeHighLow

Post by MeHighLow » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:56 am

Just to second what others have said... This looks really nice, I love the style and you did very well on setting up the world and the story here. It just tickled all the right places for me to want to keep reading, so... Just do something with the font (hand lettering was a better choice) and get that site up!

Derrick Fish

Post by Derrick Fish » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:45 pm

Aside from the type related comments already covered, the only real "criticism" I could possible give is that on the first page, I felt like the line "what a view" was unneeded. It just seems, I dunno, expositiony. That next panel where she looks softly out the window with a slight smile says all that and more with just an image. Just a thought. All in all, I'm loving what I'm seeing.

marooned

Post by marooned » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:29 pm

Looks great, and to jump on the pile, your hand lettering looks 100x better. I understand not wanting to hand letter though, I don't either. I'd say get your handwriting made into a font. Google it, there's lots of ways to do it - many of them free.
Marooned - A Space Opera in the Wrong Key!
http://www.maroonedcomic.com/