"FDTN": The Sprint To The End - Sneak Peak

General Discussion
thirdeyeh

"FDTN": The Sprint To The End - Sneak Peak

Post by thirdeyeh » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:21 pm

Hey Everyone!

I was kinda feeling like adding some accountability to what I'm doing on my comic "From Death Til Now." I recently went on hiatus to really lock in the end of the book and spend my time thinking of it as a whole book rather than updates. It's really been liberating! I decided that I wanted to try something out so that when I do come back for updates again on my website (www.fromdeathtilnow.com) I'll be able to update quickly and have a book out in no time!

So I've take up a process for finishing pages that I originally saw Bart Sears of The Path and Brutes and Babes fame employ. It's where you draw a small thumbnail page done in a tight fashion then blow it up and print it out in blue ink on an art board. This way you can move along more quickly. I posted a little entry about it on my blog http://www.michaelregina.blogspot.com/ But at any rate, I've now finished the line art on 12 pages in a week and a half. I'm averaging eight pages a week and working full time plus being a Dad and a husband that has me pumped. So, I wanted to share the Sprint To The End here, and post updates. I'm three months away at this rate from being done with book 1. I'm really proud and excited. Thanks for reading!
Last edited by thirdeyeh on Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:52 am

Ooo~! Sounds fantastic.
I'm my own breed of eccentric.

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:13 pm

Here's a preview! 15 pages in two weeks! I'm really proud of this double page spread. I can't wait to see the finished page.

Thanks Dark!

squirpy

Post by squirpy » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:00 pm

congrats on being so close, and good luck on the final sprint!
I keep a sketchblog here

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:01 pm

Thanks Squirpy! I just finished working on Chapter 3. All of the inks are done. Josh Ulrich of the Newman webcomic, is lending a hand to the flatting of the pages which is really nice. I'm writing chapter 4 now which I think is the last chapter in book 1. As a part of getting the book ready I really felt I needed to rework the opening four pages. They just don't fit in much at all now artwise, I think. So much so, that the characters don't really resemble the characters now. I redid those pages this week. I thought it was interesting to put the pages side by side and see the dif.

Kinda awesome and embarrassing at the same time! :-)

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:33 am

Well, after quite a bit of thinking and tinkering with the final chapter of FDTN. I ultimately decided the firt book would be better served if I ended it in about fifteen pages. Thematically the original ending of the book just felt off when you saw it withink the context of the rest of it. This feels much more mysterious and appropriate for a book 1 ender.

This is exciting for me though, because I will be finishing my first graphic novel, line art wise, in about a month! Then it will be the rigorous process of grayshading all of the new pages (about 50) and cleaning up older pages. It's exciting though and has me REALLY excited for book 2, since so much content is being shifted!

thirdeyeh

Re: "FDTN": The Sprint To The End - Sneak Peak

Post by thirdeyeh » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:07 pm

I'm closing in now on the final ten pages of pencils and inks for book 1. I've been thinking the last few weeks as to when to resume online updates and I think I will start things back up in September. I will probably go back to one page a week updates for the time being until I one hundred percent have locked the book down just so I can start building a web presence again. It's been really exhilarating to be putting the final pages to bed on my first graphic novel. It feels like a true accomplishment. Even more gratifying is that I did this book with really no financial reward in sight. What that confirms to me is that I am really working in a field that I truly enjoy and want to continue doing. So, soon I'll start posting some other tidbits. But things are getting closer.

rohwer

Post by rohwer » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:01 am

I wish I had the time/ energy to do something like you have done. I am looking forward to the completed book. Congrats

briantaylor

Post by briantaylor » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:31 pm

That is some serious accomplishment there. Once you're done, do you plan to ever try printing the whole thing out in any form, or will this be an online GN only?

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:49 pm

Thanks guys! It feels really sweet to have followed through on my commitment with this book. At least the first volume. It's built up some real confidence that i can complete a book. I do plan to do a print book for it with extras and all of that. Should be a fun and challenging experience.

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:50 am

Updates will resume for book 1 on September 14th. The thing I've learned from my experience on this book is just how much work it is doing doing all of this. I was listening to Scott Kurtz's talk with Merlin Mann and they were discussing how people when they're young get all excited about the idea of doing something for a living. Then when it comes time to actually do the work they fold under the pressure or monotony of it. I gotta say, I can get burned out on it while working through any given phase of the process, but I love every bit of it. Finishing up book 1 will be a huge achievement for the 8 year old me and the 27 year old me. I'm so excited to finish things up and get cracking on book 2. Which will almost definitely be in color. So I guess from here, I'll be back to posting the storytellers forum.

Also, I set up a fan page for From Death Til Now awhile back, join it if you're interested: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages ... 439?ref=ts