The Windwalker

Post comics.
Mr. Average

The Windwalker

Post by Mr. Average » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:49 am

This is a little side project of a less titanic scale than others I tend to attempt - I'm experimenting with ink wash and pencil on hot press watercolor paper, something I've used for architectural renderings before, but never for comics. If the tones look "pushed", it's because they are - my scanner is lousy at picking up subtle greys and so I have to kind of force it to do what I want. The story is 24 pages long, and this is the first.
"War Story," by the way, is a milieu I created when I was a kid, and I now use as a generic dump for stories I do as one-offs, when I'm experimenting with media. It provides easy-to-use scenarios for short stories.

Jade D.

Post by Jade D. » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:55 pm

I like how the lines are really clean and simple...I also really like how the font's done. ^^
<><

Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:04 pm

Thanks for the encouragement - the next page was an abject failure! Ink everywhere, wash where it wasn't supposed to be, and the crowning glory, a lovely hair from my innocent but occasionally irritating feline companion, which got wedged in the fork of my pen nib and made a delightful smear.

Once I've calmed down and had a cup of tea I'll have a turn at drawing it again. Talk about suffering for your art!

--M

Jade D.

Post by Jade D. » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:58 pm

Oh dear... *chuckles* =) I'm sorry, that's horrible...well, keep on trying! I'm sure you'll get it soon.
<><

Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:30 pm

Well, working on watercolor paper is pretty unforgiving. You basically ahve to do it perfectly start to finish, I've found. And work with brushes, too, so that the lines don't bleed, as they did. Ah, well... it's an experiment anyway, so it's all about the process.

--M