New Ink Drawings

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
jess_smiley

New Ink Drawings

Post by jess_smiley » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:40 pm

Hi all! I'm hoping to get some help with these drawings. I've recently been trying out ink drawings with a brush, and I'm really excited and just as nervous to try new things. I'm learning that there's a big vocabulary that goes into inking with a brush and I'm starting at the beginning.

Anyway, these drawings typify what's in my sketchbook right now and there are a few things I'm really happy with, a few I'm frustrated with, and some that I just don't get at all.

I'm happy with how the line quality is working out (a big part of the reason I like the brushed look is in the thick-to-thin lines), but I'm messing up in the shadows and mid tones. I don't think they describe the shape, light and textures well enough, but I'm not sure what to do differently. I'm baffled that some drawings seem to work better with less going on, while others work well because of all the line work involved.

If anyone has time to share a few tips with me, I'm all ears. I've been reading and watching all sorts of tutorials on inking, and I've been reading some of my favorite comics rendered in ink with a brush.

Thanks for your time and help.

AlphaE

Post by AlphaE » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:21 am

They look a lot better than mine, don't know if I should be gving YOU tips! ;0)

jess_smiley

Post by jess_smiley » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:55 am

AlphaE---what makes your drawing a succes? I mean, what makes one of your drawings better than any of your others?