FLIGHT

Flight 8 in stores Summer 2011 - www.flightcomics.com
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Gaming and Work
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:38 am 

I'm sure some of you work in the gaming industry but you are welcome to share your opinion to, I am starting this topic because I have been wondering recently "is it just me?"

Before I started studying on the animation degree (which i am literally in the final week of) I used to game all the time, but it got less and less over the last few year, now i have started up again but i honestly can't say i have completed a game in 3 years at least not that I can remember anyway. So how do those of you who are gamers find time to game on your busy schedules if you do at all, or is it something you had to drop all together?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:46 am 

Time budgeting. I tend to play more PC, DS and casual games while I'm busy just for a break so that I have enough time to play as a break then get back to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:06 pm 

I have been playing games since Pong came out...yeh.....i'm old...I played a ton until I started working in games 13 years ago....and I have basically given up playing level based games, I don't have the time.

Games I play now are games I can spend 30 minutes to an hour like TF2. Guitar hero...etc. Every now and then I venture out to play something but never finish games.

It's not a bad thing.....You should be prioritizing what is important. you want to be an animator/artist that just works 9-5 and plays games in all your free time? hate to say it but that will make you complacent in your career. It's one thing to play ....but it's another to obsess over something like WOW.

Learn to utilize that time to make yourself better at what you do...start your personal dream project. Because you will need to become better and faster as your time is taken up by a family. Prioritize. Keep fighting for the brass ring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:33 pm 

I love playing games but it's all about balancing time and priorities right now.

I find comfort in the vision of myself as an old man eating tapioca and playing some crazy, immersive game of the future.

Anyone want to join my geezer raiding party in about forty years?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:17 pm 
Flight Moderator

moved to the arcade since it's gaming related.

in regards to the topic, i used to be a hardcore gamer back in high school, and I still am, in that I still puchase games often, but I rarely have time to play them all.

I tend to focus on games that will let me enjoy the most in the limited time i have to play. Usually games which don't last too long (JRPGs have been more or less removed from my game schedule, with the exeception of lost odyssey)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:49 am 

Stick wrote:
in regards to the topic, i used to be a hardcore gamer back in high school, and I still am, in that I still puchase games often, but I rarely have time to play them all.

Ha ha, I'm the same way; I have an ever expanding library of games that lines my closet. I keep telling myself I'll get around to playing them, one day.

It might also be a statement on the general quality of games out there. I find the majority of them to be poorly written and thus, uninteresting, but when a game like Psychonauts or Grim Fandango rolls around I feel compelled to make time for it so that I can see what comes next in the story, as one might with a good book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:40 am 

I just try to stick to one game. It's all about finding the right one at the right time depending on the right mood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:34 am 
Site Admin

I am a Halo 3 fanatic, but I haven't played in over a week due to the amount of work I need to get done. I do have to admit it's pretty liberating not to be fully addicted to my 360 right now. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:37 am 

We joke at work sometimes that one of the great ironies of working in the games industry is that you don't have time to play games.

I dip in and out of most, though if something truely exceptional comes along I'll find the time. Mass Effect had me totally hooked, to the point where I played through it three times. I wouldn't mind playing GTAIV or Vikings for the Xbox either...but then I'd probably never get any work done ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:56 am 
Flight Moderator

Well, fudge.

I just got into the Football Manager Live Beta (that's the MMO from the creators of the championship manager series), and I can't stop playing it. Oh crap, I hate sports simulators.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:56 am 

It's nice to see i'm not totally alone here, my xbox has been pushed into early retirement i swear, well at least until i've settled into a new place and found a job or at least justify the break.