FLIGHT

Flight 8 in stores Summer 2011 - www.flightcomics.com
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:58 am 

Agreed. Man, Francis Lawrence is going to get a ton of work after this movie. He made that movie look good and really played up the suspense and emotion. You know there was something special in his direction after Constantine despite Keanu and that crap-ass screenplay.

However one thing bugs me....anyone remember that shot of the mutants crawling up towards Will Smith, fire surrounding all of them, and then there's a close up shot of Smith with a "vengeance is mine" glare in his eyes and a mutant hissing right at him?

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0480249/3777.jpg.html

WHAT HAPPENED TO THAT SHOT???????

I know it only lasted for a second and it's absence doesn't effect the movie that much, but it was so friggin cool!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:28 am 

hey, yeah- where was that? not sure how it would have fit in the movie either.

i just saw this last night and thought it was great! a lot better than i was suspecting. the dark warehouse scene was the best scene of the film! i also think i get more emotionally involved with the animals/pets in these type of films. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:28 pm 

yeah i just saw this last night

and this was one of the best movies i have seen in a while

plus i cant wait for cloverfield to come out :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:08 am 

I was really disappointed. The ending was pretty horrible. And I felt very little tension through the whole movie, largely because the monsters just weren't believable at all. That was some of the worst CGI I've seen in a long while.... and I don't even know why half of it was necessary? What's the floppy jaw thing about? Didn't they use that for Imhotep in The Mummy? 6 years ago?

The city was gorgeously rendered, but throughout the whole movie, bad CGI just kept slapping me in the face and distracting me. Which would be forgivable if the ending was good, but it wasn't.

Also, they left out a big honking part of why the movie was called "I am Legend" (where the "vampires" actually see Neville as the boogie man) and came up with a stupid excuse for it at the end.

It wasn't THAT bad. It just wasn't as good as it should or could have been. Go see No Country for Old Men. Now that's a brilliant, ballsy picture :D.

DeviantArt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:05 am 

Kazu wrote:
I really enjoyed everything up until the last act of the film. While the ending is passable, it falls short of the work that precedes it. The scene where Neville walks into the dark warehouse is top notch horror-suspense work, and all the shots of the desolate New York City are beautifully done.

exactly what I thought walking out of the theater.

The whole thing was beautifully acted, looked fantastic, was really well paced, but I kept hoping for something to happen that never did, and I left pretty unsatisfied.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:40 am 

LetsMeetUpInParadise240 wrote:

I know, eh? I kept wondering about this. Maybe it's something they cut?

The movie was fun, though. Very, very suspenseful! Completely riveting. And the visuals were excellent in terms of cinematography, etc. etc. etc.

<< HELLO SPOILARZ >>

The ending did feel a little cop-out-y. I was waiting for more of a twist. It feels like they could have put more emphasis on the is-there-a-safe-haven question... except that's a big part of Children of Men, so you don't want to look like thieves, I guess. But it would have given the ending a bit more impact.

Daystorm, you're being too hard on the CG. Yes, it was generally detectable, but at least it was consistent. :D

OH MAN there's one shot I love, where it looks like they DID put a real person in the mannequin's hoodie (you know, the orange dude). And he moves a little bit... and you think, WTF? Fun stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:48 am 

I really liked the film. I agree with most of the stuff said thus far.

The CGI for the creatures could've been much better -- that's my main gripe.

They changed the ending from the book, which is fine, but I still don't like either ending. In the book AND the movie, it just feels like you fight so long beside this guy, and you're rooting for him, and then it just ends.

I liked the certain psychological game the inserted into the movie, with the mannequins etc.

I guess the main night creature guy that keeps appearing is Ben Cortman?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:02 pm 

I thought it was entertaining, but they diverged from the novel a little too much. The whole meaning of the title is completely different in the film, but for optimistic purposes. I also felt that the whole story was based around how much suspense they can create and that is why there are so many holes in the plot.

Did anyone else feel like the zombie/vampires looked like The Mummy?

I do love how this film shows how stupid dogs are. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:18 am 

Yeah, if I may add the other dissenting opinion. I Am Legend was a big ol' disappointment. I mean, Will Smith is charming, and that dog was TWICE as charming as he was. The most interesting parts of the movie were the two of them just hanging out in the daytime. Whenever there was any attempt at injecting plot when night falls, the whole film just came crashing down on its face.

CGI monsters. The entire production staff should be ashamed of themselves for making that decision and following through with it. Extras in grease paint would have been much cheaper, and much scarier.
Remember when night first fell, and you didn't see any of the monsters, but you could hear them through the walls? Scary right? You bet! The movie after that point devolved into a septic, slack-jawed Hollywood action flick, complete with explosions and and audience sympathy devices *cough,* I mean doe eyed woman (on a mission from God, pleeeeeaaaaaaaase!) and a child in danger. Not fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:48 pm 

I was also stirred by the images of an abandoned New York--it reminds me of a book that came out earlier this year: The World Without Us by Alan Weisman, which projects this sort of scenario in educated detail. It's a funny thing to be in the zeitgeist isn't it?

Unfortunately the movie starts to get formulaic at the same time that its plot holes yawn open. I also think the theme is a little misguided--it seems to be a cautionary tale about obsession and single-minded prejudices, but then it seems to argue that all that is okay as long as you believe in divine providence...

One of the NPR critics had a pretty convincing theory that this movie is an allegory for the War on Terror, and he seemed very satisfied by that. But even accepting this idea, it's not satisfying to me because the final act doesn't actually do anything with it.

Quote:

Yeah this shot of a monster leaning right up to the hero's face has been around since the trailer of Alien 3. (Where, if I remember right, the alien did not eat her because she was unknowingly pregnant with one of its own--but it made for a very exciting moment in the movie.) In fact, right before I Am Legend, there was a trailer for 10,000 B.C., in which a sabre-tooth tiger leans up to the hero's face in just the same way. But it was a little sneaky and unfair of them to include this kind of shot in the trailer for I Am Legend when it wasn't in the movie. (I told myself that it was a shot of the zombies against the glass near the end of the movie, and we just, um, couldn't see the glass in the trailer.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:57 pm 

I just finished re-watching this with the alternate ending. Definitely a much stronger film.

This is one of the few times where I felt an alternate ending was actually better than the theatrical.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:00 am 

I just recently caught the alternate ending, here, and preferred it as well. However, this is based off my memory of the film from when it was in theaters.

Still...

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

I would have rather had the alternate ending end with the monsters mauling Will Smith. Or better yet, not even have the woman and child come into the film at all. I think it would fare best as a more bleak film considering it was such an excellent depiction of loneliness in the first half.

Edit: Of course, that missing shot is from the alternate ending.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:50 pm 
Site Admin

I agree. The alternate ending is definitely better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:34 am 

I must say, neither ending satisfies me. The original is too Hollywood and predictable, this new ending is too.. I dunno, sappy and cliche?

I did enjoy this movie, but I think the ending really does keep it from being a "great" film (that and those lousy CGI renderings!). Instead, it's just a pretty good one.

I think, anyways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:28 am 

I was fine with the original ending. It seems fitting to me. The alternate ending was more strange and anticlimatic to me.

I however absolutely love this movie.