Flight Drawing Challenge #4 - Outsider

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
Og

Flight Drawing Challenge #4 - Outsider

Post by Og » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:02 am

For Challenge #4, starting Jan 8, 2007:

Let's do a riff on the notion of misfits. This could be your typical high school loser, a homeless person digging through the dumpster of the McDonalds after hours, or, say, an elf that wants to be a dentist. Anybody who's not in with the in-crowd, anyone spurned by the Cool Kids. But reaction plays a part in this, so pay attention. What becomes of the outsider? Does he march to the beat of his own drummer? Does he fade away? Does he seek revenge?
Outsider - Interesting things happen when your protagonist is on the outside, looking in.
Rules for participants:

1. This challenge is open to anyone.
2. Illustrate the concept in any way of your choosing... still pic, sequential art, animation...
3. Post your piece below. (I suggest only the final piece. If we post WIPs in this thread, it's liable to become unweildy.)
4. Have fun!

NOTE: Next challenge starts Monday, Jan 29, 2007.
Last edited by Og on Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:33 am, edited 5 times in total.
ImageImage

Scott Hallett

Post by Scott Hallett » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:49 am

That's a good idea...I still have to finish my entry for #2. Happy Holidays everyone!

Joltz

Post by Joltz » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:24 am

I'll actually be able to participate in this one because I'll have a scanner! Yay!

Og

Post by Og » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:39 pm

OK, boys and girls. Challenge #4 is on!

See top of thread HERE.
ImageImage

Muffin

Post by Muffin » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:25 am

okay I realize this one is sooo straight off the topic, but.. I just really wanted to do something and did it quickly at work. :P

guuuuys... challenges are fun! (;

AmericanNinjaX

Post by AmericanNinjaX » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:15 am

ooooh I like this idear. Consider this a placeholder and reminder so I can do this tonight.

Og

Post by Og » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:16 pm

Thanks for playing, Muffin.

heh. Girl's not a cookie cutter blonde. Always nice to see your take on things.
ImageImage

Scott Hallett

Post by Scott Hallett » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:30 pm

I hope these challenges haven't gone the way of the dodo! I really enjoy them, I know the traffic's not major, but it's a start. Here's my hat in the ring.

I really wanted to push myself and play around with a bunch of concepts I'm not comfortable with, such as negative space, subtle expressions etc. (that's why it took me waaay longer than I thought) Comments and criticisms are welcome!

Og

Post by Og » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:32 am

Actually, I had thought of suspending them for lack of interest. I myself haven't gotten to doing them... *shame* Since you're interested, I'll go launch a new one.

As for your entry, this is a way different piece for you, Scott. You've done a lot with three colours there, and I like it. I applaud you pushing yourself, and for coming up with something beyond a straight read on the concept.

I also like the way you're playing with the monster-outside-the-window. He looks like he might be friendly.

My critiques, as you've asked, would be on the reaction of the girls. The little one is pointing at the monster, but it betrays no deeper story. She looks neither worried (Augh! A monster!) nor happy (Oh, look! My imaginary friend is here for a visit!).

And the larger girl (mother? babysitter? Older sister?) is hard to read. What is her expression? Worry? Amusement? And I'm not sure what she's doing with her hand. I'm almost looking for a cuppa tea there... but then that's another story.

-- EDIT --

I just noticed the broken dish and spilled teapot, so there's my cuppa after all. heh. So I guess the mom is shocked at the monster. But I think her face could be a little less inscrutible.

-- EDIT --

Anyway, my two bits. Your mileage may vary.

Good job getting a piece done!
ImageImage

Scott Hallett

Post by Scott Hallett » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:32 am

I was kind of going for 'perplexed wonder' or maybe 'delayed caution', but I can see how they're a bit hard to read. It's actually mostly a lack of reaction, almost as if they're thinking "This can't be happening". Thanks for the crits.