FLIGHT

Flight 8 in stores Summer 2011 - www.flightcomics.com
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:31 pm 

Anyone into electronic music? These are two of my favorite artists. Aphex Twin is kind of infamous (you might know his single "Come to Daddy" from the creepy video by Chris Cunningham). Some less insane tracks are on his Richard D. James album. Boards of Canada are more mellow and ambient, but also have some funky beats such as "Telephasic Workshop".

The links are to Warp Records' Bleep website, where you can hear and buy tracks or albums. (I don't work for 'em or anything; this is just the easiest way to hear the music.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:07 pm 
Site Admin

'Electronic music' is such a broad misnomer. I'm a big supporter of electronic in general, especially the harder dance-floor stuff; however, it's mostly been progressive house & trance for me these days. I think what you mean is probably better described as 'ambient electronic.'

That being said however, I'm a big fan of Boards of Canada. Aphex Twin is real hit or miss with me. RDJ can put out some really interesting grooves, but his more experimental sounds tend to really grate on my nerves.

Other similar ambient electronic acts that I'm an espcially a big fan of are: Brian Eno (the grandpappy of ambient); Orb; Future Sound of London; and William Orbit's Strange Cargo series.

(the last two are a bit of a stretch to fall into the ambient category, but they're still damn good to listen to.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:06 pm 

I guess ambient would be a more specific term, though I do like some of Aphex's "drill and bass" tracks too. Richard D. James Album is my favorite of his because it's a nice balance between the two ("4" still knocks me out every time -- lyrical and crazily syncopated.) Generally when I think of ambient, I tend to think of soundscapes, with fewer beats. But otherwise we're left with "Intelligent Dance Music", which just sounds silly.

Eno is cool -- I need to check out some of his later work. I have Music for Airports and some of his prog albums, and maybe Discreet Music somewhere ...

Do you listen to any Autechre Kean? I think they're another one of those difficult to classify groups -- sometimes electro beats, sometimes experimental noise-y tracks, sometimes ambient soundscape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:37 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, categorization is always hard and I'm not particularly a big fan of it, but I figured if you're recommending things to people, it helps to know whether your tastes jive with what you're reading...

I don't really recommend Eno's later work (anything past the 1990s, really). In terms of his ambient work, his Music For Films Series, the essential Ambient series (of which Music For Airports is a part of), and Apollo: Atmospheres & Soundtracks are probably his best albums for my money. Also highly recommended is the David Bowie/Eno 'Berlin' trilogy of Low, Heroes, and Lodger. There are some great, moody instrumentals on those albums, and Low is absolutely one of my favourite records.

I've only heard a few things by Autechre. Mostly their early stuff, and the few things that I've been exposed to on the Chris Cunningham Director's Series DVD (which of course includes Aphex Twin's "Come To Daddy" and "Windowlicker" videos).

You want intelligent dance music? I highly recommend that you track down Hybrid's Wide Angle, and specifically one track, "Finished Symphony," which is an amazing composition, featuring the Russian Federal Orchestra and Nu-Skool breakbeat. The damn song just keeps building and building, and when the breakdown finally comes, I just dare anyone with a pulse to not want to jump out on that dancefloor and grind your face off.

Hmmm. Perhaps it's time to start a new thread...