FLIGHT

Flight 8 in stores Summer 2011 - www.flightcomics.com
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:53 am 

douglas a. bot wrote:
It's grown on me. On first listening it really didn't grab me at all. But on subsequent listening including a cup of coffee and a good sit down listen...it's definetly up there with the first album.

I think this one is more a whole album than the first (ie: You can't just pick one song and listen to it...you have to listen to the whole thing from beginning to end to appreciate it). Where as album the first has numerous songs you can just pluck out and enojoy on thier own.

But yeah...i don't think i love it...but it's definetly really good.

Yeah, I have similar feelings. It's not as...diverse, I guess you'd say, as much as the first one. I guess you could make that an argument for or against it, but I kinda liked the insane mix-tape feel of the first album.

There's some great songs on it though, and I've been listening to it a LOT. So, I'd say that I do like it quite a bit...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:35 pm 

That's almost exactly how I feel; the reason the first one was good was because it was so eclectic. My favorite song might be Dracula, M1A1, Re-hash, or Left Hand Suzuki Method, and those are all wildly different. It felt cobbled-together, yet tight and cohesive. This album seems less inspired, with too much, too-familiar production, and some of the songs are heinously bad, IMO. White Light and Dare stick out as being particularly offensive, but maybe I just don't get it. On the other hand, the guest appearance by MF Doom is amazing, probably my favorite Gorillaz moment yet, but De La Soul is trite enough to offset him and then some. For the Gorillaz, to put out an album that sounds mostly the same throughout, and even played-out at points, it's not good. They epitomized good-weird, strange but listenable, and now they're mediocre. Oh well. I still like Feel Good, and the music video on iTunes is good enough for me to forgive another bad song. It's like a Miyazaki film illustrated by the Gorillaz artist whose name I forget.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:07 am 

Yuikio wrote:
That's almost exactly how I feel; the reason the first one was good was because it was so eclectic. My favorite song might be Dracula, M1A1, Re-hash, or Left Hand Suzuki Method, and those are all wildly different. It felt cobbled-together, yet tight and cohesive. This album seems less inspired, with too much, too-familiar production, and some of the songs are heinously bad, IMO. White Light and Dare stick out as being particularly offensive, but maybe I just don't get it. On the other hand, the guest appearance by MF Doom is amazing, probably my favorite Gorillaz moment yet, but De La Soul is trite enough to offset him and then some. For the Gorillaz, to put out an album that sounds mostly the same throughout, and even played-out at points, it's not good. They epitomized good-weird, strange but listenable, and now they're mediocre. Oh well. I still like Feel Good, and the music video on iTunes is good enough for me to forgive another bad song. It's like a Miyazaki film illustrated by the Gorillaz artist whose name I forget.

White Light is my least favorite song on the album. It seems like an attempt to grasp what it was doing on the first album, sort of like the "Punk" song, but doesn't quite cut it. I do like Dare pretty well though. It's fun, I dunno. But speaking of Dare, here's word from gorillaz-unofficial.com:

"'DARE' has been officially confirmed as the new Gorillaz single. Jamie and Damon confirmed this in an appearance on the Fuse television channel in the US.

Jamie describes the video as 'Wizard of Oz meets Boogie Nights'."

So watch out :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:59 pm 

I really really love this album... probably more so than the first. I think this is due to the fact that this album flows together so well. It is most certainly and album and not just a bunch of single thrown together or a few singles with some filler songs thrown in so people feel like they are getting their money's worth.

I think MF Doom is fantastic on his track, and so is Roots Manuva on All Alone. But my over all favorite part of the album certainly happen on track 13 when Dennis Hopper narrates Fire Coming our of the Monkey's Head... it is a fun clever story and the transition to the final two songs is almost seamless.

I like Dare quite a bit as well... it is a lot of fun and makes you want to boogie... kind of like a Junior Senior song. I also like White Light quite a bit... I look forward to it when All Alone starts to end... this may just be because of the kazoo sound that Damon Albarn is making through out the song... but I feel that it is fantastic.

http://www.tylersaurous.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:13 pm 

I'm listening to 'dare" right now, and I still...uh....hate it, really. That cheesy synth kills me. And whoever is talking along with the vocalist is like my worst idea of commercial Euro-techno sneering garbage. Ugh. I dunno, it's hard to articulate exactly why I have this reaction to it, but I just can't listen to it. I'll have to watch Hewlett's video with the sound off, I guess.