Urban Renewal

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
lhrybyk

Urban Renewal

Post by lhrybyk » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:49 pm

Here's a new one pushing for more green in the city...
http://fakepennycomics.wordpress.com

Wei2k

Post by Wei2k » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:02 am

Hey there, I like the design of this piece, especially the parts where they're painting over the building. Also love the texture of the paint you used.

lhrybyk

Post by lhrybyk » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:28 am

Thanks a lot! I've gotten good feedback on the texture of my pieces. Sometimes it makes it a little hard to scan or photograph though.

lifelibertyland

Post by lifelibertyland » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:52 am

I really like this piece. It caught my eye because I'm a huge fan of cityscapes and do a lot myself. Great textures and perspective. I really like how realistic the graffiti and wall behind the green paint looks , did you paint on top of an image?
A few little things bother me, the shadows created by where it appears you've overlapped paper is kind of distracting. There's not enough overlapping to make it a strong component of the piece overall and just enough to look like it wasn't intentional. Also the shadows of the painters is too black but I like how the shadows are moving away from the wall as if the light in the landscape they're painting is illuminating them. Don't know if that was intentional but it works.

lhrybyk

Post by lhrybyk » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:07 am

thanks a lot liberty. I did work with collage on this piece. What's left of that image is the graffiti coming through. The shadows were intentional and in the process of painting they were a color at some point, then later became black. The strips of shadow created by ripped paper bothered me when I was done. Something I have to be aware of on future pieces. I appreciate the comments.

Frank Stockton

Post by Frank Stockton » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:24 am

The texture on this piece and the graphic approach to 3 dimensions immediately caught my eye. I LOVE it!

however, I do think you should consider your color choices more carefully. That cool effect of the wall turning over is almost completely lost because the value and color of both sides are too similar.

And, I'm not really feeling the outlines around the guys painting below. Is there another color you can do that with besides black? even better yet, could you get it to work without doing any outlines?

keep posting the new stuff,

frank
"I do not get discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"
--Thomas Edison

http://www.frankstockton.com