march madness

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
Frank Stockton

march madness

Post by Frank Stockton » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:49 pm

Hey guys,

I just finished this piece for ESPN magazine and thought I'd post it. Why not. It's a full page and will run in next month's issue.

Anyhow, they pretty much knew what they wanted for this one at the beginning. It's about March Madness and they asked for a crystal ball with eyes peering around it and a storm brewing inside. They also sent a sketch which I won't show because I feel weird about showing someone else's work w/o their permission.

I did three sketches initially but only sent them the one I wanted to do:

The art director came back to me with "We don't see the crystal ball" which I had cleverly (or not so cleverly) tucked to the side to be in the gutter of the page. I'm willing to experiment like that sometimes, to see what they come up with. Anyhow, I came back with the following revised sketch (which I think is better than the initial one):

Finally the art director said "hey it's pretty important to the editors that the crystal ball is in the center of the page like in the sketch I sent you," so I sent them this sketch, which was one of the originals that I didn't show:

They loved this one, the only changes they asked for were "take away the 'witchy' feel and put some numbers floating around in there, too. The story is also about numbers."

They also gave me team color combos to use. This last part made my job a little more difficult since I tend to have limited color in my art. I made for myself the following color key to work with:

Anyhow, I spent quite a while illustrating drawing and coloring this thing. The amount of chaos going on made it difficult a rewarding challenge. I learned a lot from this assignment and while I'm not blown away by the finish, I am definitely proud to have it in my book. Thanks for reading!

frank

"I do not get discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"
--Thomas Edison

http://www.frankstockton.com

bluelily17

Post by bluelily17 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:56 pm

Wow that looks really cool!

Swizec

Post by Swizec » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:01 am

Love it

Didn't notice the numbers at all until you pointed out there were numbers in it.

Coffee and TV

Post by Coffee and TV » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:47 am

Very cool!

Michael Firman

Post by Michael Firman » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:22 pm

Nice, Frank, I like how it turned out. Though the blue and yellow banded arm on the left side kind of weirds me out; feels like it should be a left arm belonging to the player with the same colours in front of it.
ImageImageImageImage

matt spangler

Post by matt spangler » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:09 pm

it is very nice to see the process. The finished piece has so much going on but yet still maintains a nice focus.

Vince

Post by Vince » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:16 pm

Nice jorb, you must've had fun drawing those arms.

And GO BRUINS

Honolulu Dogfight

Post by Honolulu Dogfight » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:17 am

this looks great

JP

Post by JP » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:16 am

That's fantastic, Frank!