Horses N waterfalls and a Pirate Pony

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
Nick

Horses N waterfalls and a Pirate Pony

Post by Nick » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:31 pm

Ello ello,

Tis been a while, I had to brush the dust off my avatar before i could even post. Thought I'd share a few quick Horse like studies I did. I reeeeaally enjoyed doing these. I tried to keep the rendering focused on the most important strokes to describe the masses rather than laidening the piece with too much superfluous noise. Between 1 and 2 hours each.

A long while back I posted a speedpaint of a waterfall scene. Well anyway I've gone back to make a finished piece. This is just a WIP shot, hopefully I'll have it finished this weekend and then I'll take it to print. I love doing landscape pieces like this; it's so much fun to just let the painting tell you where it wants to go, revealing shapes that could make ruins, or caves or whatever :D

and of course Pirate Pony. Just a silly little request thing i did for the folks at work. mmmm taste the rainbow...that's an order dammit!TASTEIT! *cough*

Thanks for looking. Take it easy!

Nick

Muffin

Post by Muffin » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:18 pm

wow wow wow...
that first horse blew me away! Great work.

mr cow

Post by mr cow » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:26 pm

those are fantastic. i love that waterfall scene!

Swizec

Post by Swizec » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:05 pm

mr cow wrote:those are fantastic. i love that waterfall scene!
Same here :)

TmDurn7

Post by TmDurn7 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:29 pm

i can't agree more strongly with the above. they're all so well made but the waterfall is breath taking. is there any kind of process (references, underpainting/underdrawing?) used or is it just picking color and applying? i'd love to know how you made it

Frank Stockton

hey

Post by Frank Stockton » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:34 pm

the waterfall is... um... gosh, for some reason it's making me blush... not sure why...

rainbow horse with rollerskates is very pleasant to my eyes.
"I do not get discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"
--Thomas Edison

http://www.frankstockton.com

Nick

Re: hey

Post by Nick » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:50 am

Muffin, Mr Cow, Swizec, thank you very much! I'm glad you've all found something in these pieces that you like!

Hey TmDurn, Cheers fella! The colour choices are pretty much from my minds eye, I used some reference for the Conifers for a short while, just to get some convincing structure going on there, but otherwise it's pretty much all done from my head. There's no underpainting in this particular piece, but I have a series of brushes which i created which can create convincing rock texture. This is all done in photoshop incase you're wondering. Thanks for the question ^____^

Frank Stockton wrote:the waterfall is... um... gosh, for some reason it's making me blush... not sure why...

rainbow horse with rollerskates is very pleasant to my eyes.
Haha, the worrying thing is I think I know what you're thinking Frank, I'd thought it myself but then dismissed it. I think perhaps I need to re-jig a couple of elements ^____^

The Rainbow horse was a natural progression from the studies, the roller skates....well it just seemed right.

Thanks again everyone!

Josh-Ulrich

Post by Josh-Ulrich » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:15 am

Are the horse drawings from referance, or out of your head?

The anatomy looks pretty spot on, but the second and third one seem to be in unatural positions. The second one looks like it's leaping from the viewers left to right, sort of a side step, and looks a bit ackward. The third one is reared back pretty extremely, I'm waiting for him to fall over. I'm not a horse expert, so maybe I'm just crazy, they just look slightly off to me. Asside from that, your values and brush strokes are amazing. Overall they are very fluid paintings. Do you use PS or painter?

Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:31 am

Alright Josh,

Thanks for casting your eye over these, it's cool to know people are looking out for these kind of things. These horses are from reference, I've never painted a horse before and part of my goal for this year is to do a lot more in the way of anatomical studies, both human and animal. As it happens the horses in 2 and 3 held those poses. The second one was 'dancing' and the third was in some kind of Rodeo...so I wouldn't have been surprised if it was about to fall over. It was such an unusual pose I just had to paint it. ^__^ Flickr is a great source for these unusual pics and I used Photoshop CS2 for all these pieces.

Cheers Josh!

Michael Firman

Post by Michael Firman » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:04 pm

Nice stuff all-around! Your Spongebob work is great too :P
ImageImageImageImage

ZidaneTheKing

Post by ZidaneTheKing » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:08 pm

The last one is all kinds of awesome.

Reagan

Post by Reagan » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:29 pm

Love that waterfall.

wendy w

Post by wendy w » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:44 pm

These are great.
I really like the waterfall and that last one just made me grin like crazy.
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) Bunny says you need to read

smaragddrache

Post by smaragddrache » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:37 pm

The movement is so great in all of them! As a horse person, I can see some of the awkwardness Josh is referring to in the second and third... and yes, horses can do that. The only thing I have to say as a suggestion is watch the connection between the head and the neck. It feels a little awkward in the third image. To me, it feels like the horse's neck is lacking volume or perspective. Is the head turning or just pulled in to the neck? Otherwise, they are wonderful in action and movement, especially the depiction of the mane and tails.

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:42 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'm afraid i haven't really got much progress to show on the waterfall piece yet. I've had so many silly little things to do that I've put it on the backburner for a little while...but soon!

Hmmmm I see what you mean smaragddrache. I haven't such a great deal of experience wuth horse anatomy, so I'm glad you pointed it out. I definitely see where you're going with it and i think in retrospect I've done a poor job in portraying the volumes. haha, I get so caught up trying to refine one aspect of my painting that I neglect another! Doh! I'll have to try and nail it in future studies. :]

Thanks again!