Fire Giant

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
Hyptosis

Fire Giant

Post by Hyptosis » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:41 pm

Fire giant concept for a norse project I'm working on. I also saved staged images if anyone is interested.

Here is how it starts. It is being done 100 percent digital, in photoshop 4.0, with a 12 by 12 wacom tablet.

Establishing the light source.

This is the hard part to me. I'm trying to mold this lump of color into a shape. This is the make or break point I think in most images, I usually break. =] Everything else is built up on the mass of the figure, and this is the part I struggle most with. any tips would rock. =]

Here I would say it is probably becoming painfully obvious I've no clue what I'm doing. =P

Trying a few ideas.

If anyone can see areas where I should have done something different, please let me know. ^_^ I want to learn more. =]

Mike Laughead

Post by Mike Laughead » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:13 pm

Holy crap! You don't do a sketch first? I hate doing the "landscape painting" process to creating an image. I say that you should draw a sketch first, then color it. You can get rid of the lines whenever you want.
Mike Laughead

MikeLaughead.com

Threshold

Post by Threshold » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:55 pm

You've got a more than decent painting approach. I find it very difficult to work without a sketch. You could make it look a little less flat, maybe, but the overall technique and lighting style is very good.

Squiggly_P

Post by Squiggly_P » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:52 am

His left shoulder (the armored one) seems a little low and a little short overall. Shorter than the other one at least. Otherwise it's pretty damn nicely rendered. Love the sword.

y2kin

Post by y2kin » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:19 am

that's a interestin' approach to painting, do you use the same technique with all your work? do you at least do a sketch on paper first?

Hyptosis

Post by Hyptosis » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:39 pm

Made some changes based on suggestions from others.

y2kin: No, I almost never use this approach, only when I'm feeling abitious and don't want my work to be.. constricted... blocking out odd shapes early on to me, helps you think outside of the box. You might accidently put a jag somewhere, and later turn it into a horn or something that you never would have thought of. I only do this for concept art of course. Never for pre designed characters.

Sqiggly_P! Thanks, dunno how I missed that =P

Frank Stockton

since no one's said it

Post by Frank Stockton » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:35 pm

the biggest thing, even bigger than the orignal shoulder thing, that bugs me, is that his right leg (the one on the left) is dislocated, it needs to be more underneath him and have less of a bend at the knee.

that's all. This version looks significantly better than the previous ones otherwise.

frank
"I do not get discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"
--Thomas Edison

http://www.frankstockton.com