beware the hailey monster!

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
mr cow

beware the hailey monster!

Post by mr cow » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:26 pm

this week's drawer geeks was fun. we had to take a child's drawing of a monster and attempt to re-create it to look like well... a monster. my source was done by 5 yr old hailey rose smith. i can't tell you how hard it was to try to match the personality that she had in her drawing. she's slated for bigger things then i...

for those that are interested, the amazing dave devries has been doing this for a while now at his monster engine site.

Muffin

Post by Muffin » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:48 pm

Oh, that is such an awesome idea! :D I love it. Kids are geniouses. I have a niece at the age of 7 who makes the coolest drawings. I gotta scan some of them and at least let myself be inspired by them.
I like your monster, Mike - the colors are very good and it has a really good 3D-feeling to it. The teeth with the shadow under it has to be my favorite part. :D

Muffin

Post by Muffin » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:54 pm

By the waay.... I'd very much like to know what the secret password for joining drawergeeks is... I tried signing up, but it keeps saying "waiting for approval" blah blah.. How do I get approved? How long does it take? Is there an age limit? Guys only? Must be fully educated? No eatable handles?

-loo-bot-

Post by -loo-bot- » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:29 pm

Holy, wow! That is a wicked idea! Great execution, too. I applaud you, sir.
Image- Mondays and Thursdays!

Blom

Post by Blom » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:06 pm

That one is Great Mike! :lol: I know there is a website that has alot of this childrensdrawings turned into drawings that looks like yours, that is great fun becouse they have diffrent ways to draw it.

Muffin: Maybe you can´t join them if you not already are a memeber.
Tor Harald Blom

Frank Stockton

hello

Post by Frank Stockton » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:10 pm

youdid a fantasmic job. I would like to try this game, too. How to a acquire a child's drawing?

frank
"I do not get discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"
--Thomas Edison

http://www.frankstockton.com

mr cow

Post by mr cow » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:19 am

thanks everyone. :D

this really is a fun thing to do. if you want, we can turn this into a little thread on the forum here. i'll change the name to "kid creatures thread" or something. and hailey did something like 15 or so drawings for me to choose from. all of which were awesome. i can scan them into a page on my site that those that don't have access to a child's drawing can go there to pick and choose from. let me know.

and muffin- drawergeeks has always been a small community of artists, but we've had a lot of requests from people asking to join drawergeeks lately ever since it was mentioned on drawn. we're actually talking about what we want to do about that now...

Muffin

Post by Muffin » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:52 pm

Ah, I see. :) I didnt know. Well, - put in a good word for me will you. I mean, - you could make some sort of exam that you give to the newcomers and they make something and show and you guys vote for it or something. :P Just a suggestion. I like exams. (:

But, If drawergeeks desides to stay privat and personal, - I'd love to follow up on your suggestion about making this thread into a jam-thing. Maybe we could continiue this, a thread every month or every other week with an interesting theme.

Og

Post by Og » Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:20 pm

Muffin, Mr. Cow -

That is such a good idea, I put up a POLL to see how many others of us there are who would like a bi-weekly challenge like this...

Could you stop by and give your two cents, and vote one way or the other?

Thanks

-Og
ImageImage

Muffin

Post by Muffin » Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:44 pm

:D

Mike Thompson

Post by Mike Thompson » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:15 pm

How do I join that cool forum? Who do I contact?

yolk

Post by yolk » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:06 pm

excellent job and idea Micke!
I like this nose and teeth. :mrgreen:
Lovely colors and light.

I must try this with my younger sisters :D
Kids have amazing idea.

Swizec

Post by Swizec » Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:08 am

Wow, that's really nice ... weird looking monster, wouldn't want to meet it in the dark.

mr cow

Post by mr cow » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:52 am

thanks, guys! kid's are so observant and creative. i'm always taken down an artistic notch when i see the stuff they come up with.

mike- see my above answer to muffin.

og- sounds like a fun idea. but i'd be curious to know what some of this board's moderators would think about that. not sure i'd be able to participate too much in it either. one drawing challenge every two weeks is about all i can handle these days. :)

Og

Post by Og » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:17 am

mr cow wrote:og- sounds like a fun idea. but i'd be curious to know what some of this board's moderators would think about that. not sure i'd be able to participate too much in it either. one drawing challenge every two weeks is about all i can handle these days. :)
Thanks, Mr Cow. See my response HERE.
ImageImage