Nina

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
Patachu

Post by Patachu » Sat Mar 13, 2004 2:45 am

Ronnie, you are an absolute genius. I love, love, love the vitality of your linework.

Are you working on Paper Biscuit 2? Book 1 was great but I wants more Nina. :wink:

douglas a. bot

Post by douglas a. bot » Sat Mar 13, 2004 2:41 pm

Hey Ronnie,
Great to see you here.
One of the things i love about Nina is how fresh and effortless the linework and colours are. Always such incredible work.
Beautiful!!

d.

Mikie

Post by Mikie » Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:24 pm

Clank wrote:Oh man, that's cool. I really really like the style and the scratchiness of it. I love the cat in the satchel thing, too.
Ditto.

You have this great, simplified style. Cartoonie if you will. Yet you have this linework with such a great texture. Makes the character seem a bit more real...organic. Very cool stuff.

Ganter

Post by Ganter » Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:14 pm

Nina is so cute! These drawings are beautiful, and the roughness of the sketchy linework definitely adds to the warm coffee-house mood of these little pictures. I hope to pick up a copy of fragments one day~

Biscuit Maker

Post by Biscuit Maker » Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:02 pm

Patachu--Thanks so much. And, yes, I am working on Paper Biscuit 2. I have nine pages left. The book will be the same forty pages but this time no sketch development section. All story. It's fun but I just realized recently that it will be the most number of pages I will have done for any one issue in my meager comics career. The Aliens Mondo Pest and Mondo Heat Dark Horse comics were the longest I've done for the majors. All the DC work are for Mark Chiarello and just eight pages each. I wish comics paid as much as animation does--it would be no-brainer as to what I'd spend my day doing.

Douglas--my pleasure to be here. I'm a doodler and my mind wanders into territory that can only be done as sketchy images. Any more intent loaded into it would collapse the whole thing. Some aspects of the line quality: 1.) Pain. My hand has drawn miles of drawings as have you all and along the way the wear and use (abuse) seemed to have settled some habits into it that can only be arrived at by this mindless wandering of paper and pencil. I'm sure all can relate.

Mikie--Thanks for stopping by and viewing the post. The cartoony style is a direct result of working in animation with so many talented artists who've demonstrated how that style is not only very expressive but artful. I was on the other side of that style long ago, an illustrator type who tended to equate the simplified cartoon style as being simple as well. Nothing simple about it. It is a combination of economy and verve, style and intent. I only learn that by watching others do it so well. Jack Cole's Plastic man comics as well as Bill Elders panels in Mad. Kurtzman, fuggetabowdit! t. Carl Barks! Oh, momma. And to think that thumbed my nose at those things when I was younger. Then there's Bruce Timm. I watch him draw with a blue pencil worn down to few inches and glide out an elegant drawing in the time he'd finish a short rant on how badly designed a rival action show was done.

Ganter--Thanks. Fragments will be there for you. Actually, Enrico and I am hoping to get another one out this year. Cross fingers.

Another note on the line quality: The animation clean up line is so elegant that a drawing is not an animation drawing unless it had those sweeping curves and slashes (Well except for Jungle Book, 101 Dalmations, Triplets of Belleville). I could do it before but now it's not as easy. Besides I have less time. So, all this is a way of coping with the limitations I'm encountering. And then there are those who've come before: Ernest H. Sheppard, Ronald Searle, Herriman... quill people. Scratchy and scrappy drawings that I can't help but adore. I keep them close these. I draw with a mechanical pencil and keep my touch light (hand hurts) and hope I get the best drawing. But mostly I'm allowing myself to have fun and not stress about exacting rendering. That's what Illustrator's for.

Thanks to all.

R.

peppermint

Post by peppermint » Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:35 pm

ah ronnie, i am a fan. your work has so much life, so much naturality,
it feels great to have you posting here. it´s always great to check your work. that´s a very sweet drawing from nina! :D

Clio

Post by Clio » Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:11 pm

Awesome to see you here, Ronnie! Love the drawings. Fragments is beautiful, too. I am a huge fan of yours and Enrico's!
- Clio

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:10 pm

Yes, I'm also one of the deprived few to have never actually seen Fragments, and I feel like a big uncool loser. Really dig your stuff though, Ronnie.