shading

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
Rad Sechrist

shading

Post by Rad Sechrist » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:01 pm

So I've been wanting to do a watercolor comic for a while and my main problem is that I never learned how to shade. I've been looking at all kinds for stuff trying to learn. Anyone have any crits?

Vince

Post by Vince » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:09 pm

I found a picture online that I think has really nice shading. Obviously, this person knows what he or she is doing.

Phil

Post by Phil » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:20 pm

haha 8)

pencrush

Post by pencrush » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:42 pm

this is my first post, so take it with a grain of salt... I'm a big fan of your work rad and I would be happy to have your level of shading ability, but since you asked for advice, here goes nothing.

I read something once that said to think of the surface as a 3d object. The highest parts get the most light (or highlights) and the lowest parts get the most shade (or if they are behind something shadow.) It seems fairly obvious, (and you may already be doing that) but it helped me think through how things get shade... set an imaginary light source and go for it.

wendy w

Post by wendy w » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:43 pm

Hahaha.
Oooops.
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) Bunny says you need to read

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:44 pm

Looks good to me Rad! real nice...

Phil laughed at your art though... you might want to punch him for that! ;)

almo

Post by almo » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:48 pm

I've tried to master shading for a long while and it has never clicked in my brain. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that I am so impatient. I can't slow down long enough to think about where the light source is and such.

Of course, looking at your sketches and the comic page posted, you could have fooled me that you don't know how to shade...

Josh-Ulrich

Post by Josh-Ulrich » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:48 am

If I'm not mistaken, I think he meant he didn't know how to shade properly with watercolor, not that he doesn't know how to shade at all.

Unfortunately I can't be of to much help with that myself since I never use watercolor that often either.

If it's anything like ink wash, try layering, and playing around with the viscosity of your watercolors by using less or more water with your paints.

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:31 am

Looks good enough to me. Unless you're trying to do something really moody, or trying to be Alex Ross, realistic shading is overrated anyways. In most cases, vaguely-accurate shading is better at communicating what's going on (that way you can fudge it when necessary).
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

Boum

Post by Boum » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:59 am

Watercolour is just too difficult for me to handle. Sigh.

It varies what kind of effect you're looking for. You can apply base colours and then let them dry, and go nuts with shadows, but they won't blend---or then you can experiment while it hasn't dried yet.

Just mess around with it I guess! :)

fizzgig

Post by fizzgig » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:26 am

i used to start off with light (watered down) colors, then apply darker (thicker) colors over that to apply shading and build things up. much like josh suggested. i used to wait til the first coat was tacky to apply the next layer. this way the paint wouldn't bleed all over the place, but it's still wet enough to do some blending. but, that's just me and I haven't touched them in a few years.

Paul Harmon

Re: shading

Post by Paul Harmon » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:08 am

Rad Sechrist wrote:So I've been wanting to do a watercolor comic for a while and my main problem is that I never learned how to shade. I've been looking at all kinds for stuff trying to learn. Anyone have any crits?

those are great faces rad! really nice structure

Ganter

Post by Ganter » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:01 pm

Rad, I love your people drawings so much! I think your shading is awesome, my shading's pretty bad so I have no suggestions. A watercolor comic from you would be so awesome, tho!

Mike Thompson

Post by Mike Thompson » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:25 pm

Looks nice and solid to me, Rad. Keep posting...would like to see more.

yolk

Post by yolk » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:26 pm

AMAZING page!!!
great color contrast and shading.
Very good work. Very, very good.