Some x men re designs Update! Corsair

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
chasecorbeau

Post by chasecorbeau » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:53 pm

Corsair is dead sexy. :oops:

davun

Post by davun » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:59 pm

yes that Rogue is very special. Great job. I like your style very much, it is at once casual and very professional. I am wondering what you will do in the future - for me if the characters were ~ 5% more 'realistically' proportioned, you might be onto a killer blend of the real and the stylish, if you know what I mean, where both worlds meet. But really fantastic work.

Mikie

Post by Mikie » Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:10 pm

Very slick. Well done, man. :D

plati

Post by plati » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:46 am

Thanks a lot. :D I really appreciate everyone´s feedback.
I understand what you mean davun, i think i was going that way when i did Corsair.
Initially i started doing these for fun, but i was planning on doing revamps for most of the x characters, but more like a model sheet kind of thing, but i didn´t have the time to do it since i had illustration jobs i needed to do. When i got back to it and started doing Corsair my reasoning had changed a bit, and i started thinking that i could do a few submission pages. That´s why Corsair is slightly more comic booky than the others with more details on the face. In my spare time i´m doing layouts for a few Starjammers pages, and i´m hoping i have the attention span to finish them.
I obviously would kill to be able to work in comics, but it´s really hard to have the time to do submissions.

If you enjoyed these drop by my blog at http://nunoplati.blogspot.com

Nuno

davun

Post by davun » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:26 pm

hey plati,

actually I did check out your blog the other day, when I came across this thread.

I'll sort of present an update on my critique, for your digestion at pleasure :)

First things first, it's great stuff. You have acquired a style that, if you don't change a thing, will surely grant you a good career for the next years. While it is to my eye similar to some things I have seen before ( the style I mean ), it is presented so well, that people will want it.

For me, I think you should now look at a completely different style, and try to merge with your current style. Imagine integrating gothic horror / manga tech into your work. The downside to having a strong and recognizable style, is that there is a slight feeling of circularity, in that there will be little evolution. So I say strike a bold path into new territory, see where it goes. If you want to go into comics, then you definately need variety of presentation ( hey, depending what kind of comics you want to do ), to suitable capture phases of a story. Your work also focuses mainly on character studies - maybe strike into other genres too. Spaceships? Apples? :)

Again, I love your work, but just want 5-10% more realism, somehow. It feels a little too past the edge of stylization for a sincere emotional connection, I want it a little more real, and I guess your Corsair and Rogue are pointing in that direction, which is why I like them the most.

plati

Post by plati » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:38 am

Thanks a lot Davun for taking the time and give me some feedback on my online portfolio.

Nuno

MixmasterP

Post by MixmasterP » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:00 pm

I love the sneakers and sunfire's 3/4 sleeves. they have a very streamlined, sporty look to them. I can't wait to see some more, like maybe the Beast or Colossus. it would be especially nice to see how you would treat Beasts fur, you did a very good job with Rogues flowing hair I'm very curious to see what you'd come up with.