EDIT: Hello and "Pratchett"

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
Bialy

EDIT: Hello and "Pratchett"

Post by Bialy » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:41 pm

Hi, I had signed up some time ago on the persistance of my school mentor, but I've been busy and I forgot for a bit I had done so, so I haven't posted or replied to anything as of yet (senior year of college, you know how it is), but I hope I can keep tabs here in the future, a lot of nice artists here, and it has a nice, calm atmosphere.

Anyway, I'm a studio art major, but I'm not much of a fine arts person, I love cartoons and comics and hope to work as a storyboard artist or somesuch and hopefully graduate to pitching cartoon ideas with a friend of mine, Kasey, who I often collaborate with. This post, in fact, is primarily about one of our creations, since I think it's the one thing that would be best for this forum. (I have several otherideas and comics, but part of the reason I didn't post here right away is I didn't feel they were appropriate.) I want to do a short comic using two of the characters, and I'll post the pages here if you're curious.

Moving along, basically the idea is about two friends, Okay and Zero, living in a world alternate to ours that is inhabited by various mythological beings in a modernesque setting. The story follows them as they go to school, take part in the poetry club (where writing poetry is a dangerous, competitive sport, a parody on fantasy sports like QUIDDITCH where it's perfectly okay to put children in harm's way 'coz it's MAGIC), and in general just have fun as a couple of pre-teens.

Currently I don't have too many finished, fancy art of them, but I'm working on pieces for my studio so I'll update with those as they come along! This oekaki I did Decmberish is the fanciest thing I have so far:
There's many flaws in it (my oekaki skills have been failing due to no time to practice hah), but I was rather proud of it in the end. OKAY is the harpy boy, designed by Kasey, and ZERO is the fox spirit, designed by me. Okay is the more quiet, level headed of the two, though he's not exactly the brightest person in the world, while Zero is a total spazz. A lot of people seem to like Zero, and are often taken in by how scary he looks when he's actually so sweet.

Here are some quickly done Flash drawings of their original "finished" designs:
The girl on the far right is Faux, a jackalope, who's the captain of their poetry club. She's very competitive and is often irritated, especially with Zero and Okay, but despite that she rather likes the two boys and hangs out with them, but she won't readily admit her friendship with them.

Then, for my studio class again, I'm doing basic animation sheet things, turn arounds, head sheets, etc, here's some head shots of Zero:
I have yet to do Okay.

And then we have this website, which I did for an interface design class. I wanted to learn some Flash so I did a Homestar Runner-like layout using Zero. It was really frustrating, not even my teacher knew how to do Flash, and I'm not that great at animating, even on such a program as Flash, but I think the end result is an amusing little deal. The site has more info on the characters and the story if you're interested, though some might be outdated. Oh well, it's just a dummy site anyway.

All that I have left are pretty much sketches, I'll spare you direct images and give you links:
My original designs for Zero after I changed he from a cat to a fox. He had an earring and gloves, but I dropped them.
Original Faux designs
Some random sketches bundled together. The second sketches are abotu some girls finding out fox spirits could take on super handsome human form, and they imagined Zero as something awfully cool, but all he knows how to turn into is a toaster.
A fancy sketch of Faux's head
Zero and Okay meet the guardian of their school

And finally, a smarmy Zero to win you over:

Not the most exciting of art posts, but I hope it was amusing enough. XD I'll post some more substantial stuff in the future, I just basically wanted to say hi and that I hope I'll have the time to look at and reply to other's works, there's so many good things here. And of course, love the Flight books, they're quite good and inspirational.
Last edited by Bialy on Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:07 pm

These are really nice! Welcome here!

Bialy

Post by Bialy » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:54 am

Aww, thank you for the compliment and welcome!

Also, my site seems to be experiencing crashes for some reason, so sorry if anyone comes to look and, uh, all they see are red x's. Isn't that just luck for you, I post art somewhere new and the next day my site has issues.

Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:50 am

Hehe, welcome Bialy! Zero and Faux are very cool. Really digging the facial expression sheets too, keep it up! :D

Justin

Post by Justin » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:03 pm

hello, lookin' good :)
-Justin

Bialy

Post by Bialy » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:00 pm

Thank you to both of you!

Nofret

Post by Nofret » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:24 am

Welcome aboard!
Very cute style and characters. I especially like Zero's expression sheet. Can't wait to see where you'll take those characters next.

Rad Sechrist

re

Post by Rad Sechrist » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:08 am

Cool characters!

Bialy

Post by Bialy » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:03 pm

A small update, sketches of the Okay.
Hopefully this weekend I'll have Faux and Okay done.

And thank you to everyone else that's welcomed me!
Last edited by Bialy on Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Firman

Post by Michael Firman » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:26 am

These are fun character designs, good stuff. Welcome to the fora, Bialy!
ImageImageImageImage

peng8noodles

Post by peng8noodles » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:48 am

welcome to the forum! i really like those character designs. hope to see more from you in the future :D

Bialy

Post by Bialy » Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:37 pm

Thank you again! I'm glad you all like the designs so~

I changed the title of this thread because I figured I'd use this thread to update Pratchett stuff, so I hope that's okay with people here.

Meanwhile, here's the Okay heads finished:
It's unfocussed though, due to issues with my paint program, so sorry about that.

Bialy

Post by Bialy » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:47 pm

Now for Faux's heads:

I haven't really gotten her down yet, but her first headsheets looked hideous so I redid the whole thing today. I like this one much better.

Mike Laughead

Post by Mike Laughead » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:34 pm

I'm not too keen on the other two character designs (especially the boy with wings can be pushed further) but I really like your design for Faux.

I know that the other 2 are similar in style.. I just like the way that your jackelope looks. Keep it up!
Mike Laughead

MikeLaughead.com