a house that ..walks??

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
campy22

a house that ..walks??

Post by campy22 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:15 am

Loosely based on the baba yaga's idea of the walking house....

Now you maybe wondering what happened to the litl Indian and the girl( who, we will call katrina for the sake of it)..
And.. what happened to Lil P and the dog( let's call the dog naya)...and what is in the house?

well.I don't know yet, but it's starting to come together

Rad Sechrist

re

Post by Rad Sechrist » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:41 am

Very nice. I like it better when you use sharp edges on the characters. Have you tried keeping with the sharp edges, but adding in some textures like: http://www10.big.or.jp/%7Etuesugi/

Plognark

Post by Plognark » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:45 am

Huh, I actually like the slightly softer edges more; guess it's a personal preference.

This photoshop stuff you've been doing has a lot more depth and presence than the flash work, I think. Of course, you can't animate in PS. Keep at it man! You rock!

campy22

Post by campy22 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:07 am

Rad.
I'm still trying to figure out how to do half that stuff in photoshop
lol
I do miss the hard edges actually..or , rather, the ability to control it.
I think, at some point I'll go back and forth between flash and photoshop..but, in the mean time, i'm going to try to learn more about the power of photoshop( so as not to use it ..lol!)

Plognark
Can't animate in it, but , wow..it's really interesting as far as textures goes!!! which you can't really do in flash!

mr cow

Post by mr cow » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:51 am

cool.

Swizec

Post by Swizec » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:35 am

Very nice, you ahve a eally great style campy

arkadia

Post by arkadia » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:13 pm

I'm just loving this series of drawings you've been putting out lately. I really look forward to them. It cool that's you're experimenting and trying different techniques.

y2kin

Post by y2kin » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:37 pm

very nice and interesting

campy22

Post by campy22 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:24 pm

Y2kin
Cool, thanks!

Arkadia
thanks for the encouragement.
It's not as easy as it may seem to break out of one's habits!
sigh...

Swizec
Thank you

mr cow.
(^__^)

elisio

Post by elisio » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:57 am

good job Pascal.
i don't mind the soft edges. it make sthe image more dreamlike in a way.

my good friend Bannister uses both Flash and Photoshop for his illustrations, and the results are awesome. i don't know Flash so i stick to Photoshop for everything i do but it seems the former definitely has some advantages for pure drawing.

anyway, i'm rambling.
just a question though: which one do you find is the less time consuming so far?

campy22

Post by campy22 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:07 am

Elisio

Ahhhh!!
great question.
which one is LESS time consuming.
hands down... Flash..
The largest of the flash pieces I've ever posted here never took me more than three hours( I think it might have been for the " broken") piece, theone where the monkey is at the window.
the reason that one took so long was because of the amount of texture Iw as putting on the wall.
There comes a point in Flash, when the software can't take any more brush strokes without threatening to crash on you..and it takes forever to save.

Photoshop though... has different " things" about it that are interesting to me.
A different way of thinking mostly.
I'm going to play around with it , and see if I can get as fast in conceptualising in photoshop, as I am in flash( I doubt it).
But.. things like the background in the house that walks drawing are things you CAN"T do in flash.
so..

I'll probably end up doing like bannister then!

Hope that helps, elisio

Crystal

Post by Crystal » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:44 pm

This is so beautiful! Something that jumped out at me though, was that it seems like there's too much gray to the right side of the house.

Prankster

Post by Prankster » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:23 am

I, too, like the soft edges. In theory I think I prefer the overall look of the Photoshop pieces to your Flash (?) based pieces--I like the depth of shading and sense of weight. That's not to say some of the "cutout" pieces didn't look more polished, but I like the effect you've got going here a little better.

I guess I'm a traditionalist. My favourites of yours tend to be the standard hand-drawn images. Like that Ali Baba one.

campy22

Post by campy22 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:53 am

Crystal
Thanik you...
Hmm.. too much gray?
that could be...
I always try to give a bit more space than really necessary, because i wantto give myself the option of either adding text or "editing" the image.
I guess i worked in the commercial world of animation too much!
lol

Prankster.
I know what you mean by " traditional" skills.
These , I think, are everybody's favorites.
Nevertheless...
The " cutout" pieces actually started outin an effort to clarify my work.
you know how it is, as artists, we have a tendency to do too much most of the time... using flat colors and, originally, simple shapes, heped me a great deal make my images more readable.
Than, discovering photoshop, and the texturig power, i feel like I get overwhelemed by it's immense possibilities.
so.. i'm trying to work on one area at the time( depth, texture, etc etc..)

At the moment though...i don't think i'm goingto be able to post much more for a while, since i'm ., once again, submerged in projects...

but i'll be back!!

( can't get away too long anyway, even if I wanted, it just keeps calling me back! )

Carafaele

Post by Carafaele » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:29 pm

I really REALLY like this. I feel like I'm sitting that chair and tipping sideways with the waves and the wind - it makes me want to go swimming. The birds (and dark clouds) make the image seem much windier and bitter than it would without them.
Awesome.