space girl concept

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
T-lapia

space girl concept

Post by T-lapia » Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:20 pm

just a sketch. iam still finishing this up. but the uniform looks uninspired.
hopefully ill come up with better variations.

i used a reference for the face, w/c s this girl from work that i really like.

Threshold

Post by Threshold » Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:50 pm

mmm, looks okay. You might try bringing in the shoulders a bit. The hands seem a bit unrealistic, sort of flattish, but the arms are well done. You need a lot of work on the legs and feet though. The thighs are spread too far apart from where I think the crotch is, and the legs just get spindly really fast. Your torso anatomy is well-drawn, though.
Oh, and while you did a good job on making it apparent that she's an attractive female without overdoing it ("ZOMG, booBS!!!!111oneone" etc.) you might want to do a little work on the shoulder blending into the pecs. Right now, the breast on the left side looks sort of squarish. The deltoid (triangular muscle at the shoulder) should merge into the outer curve of the breast, and the breasts should probably have just a tiny bit more definition underneath OR between them... not both, then it's just overdone.
As a space costume, this is really pretty elvish looking. Maybe you watch a lot of original Star Trek?

Sorry if this crit comes across as a little blunt. You have some real talent, but you might want to study up on your anatomy. There are just a bunch of little (?)mistakes that really kill this as an excellent piece. Keep at it, k?

T-lapia

Post by T-lapia » Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:08 pm

thank you so much treshhold. i really appreciate your time for actually pointing every little thing out, now i have something to work with :D

i dont mind people being blunt, i actually hate it more when people say, Wow! nice work and leave you nothing to learn from. just that's it's nice...

i mean.. what is nice anyways?

R'John

Post by R'John » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:07 pm

dude,

I like this alot. You do some nice painting...better than me,thats for sure. The girl is cute man. Ask her out dude...if you don't,you might regret that you didn't...

Finish this painting man,it looks like it would be awesome...

later dude...

heres some crits,which may have been mentioned above...I didn't read the other crit. Anyways,one arm looks longer than the other,and the torso may be a bit long,but if it is due to the style you are going for,then its cool. Thats the only crit I can come up with. Oh and maybe don't make the arms doing the same thing on both sides,maybe,if you still can,shift her weight to one side. It'll add character...

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:42 am

As for the uniform being "uninspired," I think it all depends on how you look at it. I hate it when sci fi illustrators design costumes and landscapes that are supposed to look "cool" and "spacey" but aren't very relevant to the story. Paperback cover artists are particulary bad for this. The clothes your characters wear tell us (or should tell us) a lot about the character and her environment. A sparse but streamlined all-white gettup like this one, for example, suggests someone who doesn't often get her hands dirty (at least not until the story begins). She is probably a professional of some kind (but not a soldier) and spends a lot of time strolling about on highly-polished steel floors in her high-heeled boots.

On the other hand, this could only be what's expected of her, the strolling about and so on, but her outfit is a thin mask over her REAL personality underneath.

If I've even come close to describing what your character is like then I'd say her outfit is 100% perfect.

Jonathon Dalton
A Mad Tea-Party

T-lapia

Post by T-lapia » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:25 pm

R'John wrote:dude,

I like this alot. You do some nice painting...better than me,thats for sure. The girl is cute man. Ask her out dude...if you don't,you might regret that you didn't...

Finish this painting man,it looks like it would be awesome...

later dude...

heres some crits,which may have been mentioned above...I didn't read the other crit. Anyways,one arm looks longer than the other,and the torso may be a bit long,but if it is due to the style you are going for,then its cool. Thats the only crit I can come up with. Oh and maybe don't make the arms doing the same thing on both sides,maybe,if you still can,shift her weight to one side. It'll add character...
thanks man! and as for asking her out, we already dated and found out that shes a playa... , Its complicated with her. shes really hot tho.. plus she's a co-worker.

oh, and why arent you posting any of your artwork anymore?
o, and i dug around for your stuff on the net,.. when is the "Lola" book comin out??

jdalto: thanks man, i really want to develop this character more when i have the time :D