Europe Sketchbook: STOLEN

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
Frank Stockton

Europe Sketchbook: STOLEN

Post by Frank Stockton » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:22 am

HELLO,

Last night I was at a bar with a friend and someone broke into my car by smashing the window and they stole my book bag which contained the sketchbooks that I have been posting on line here. Both the square-shaped one and the one from Berlin (which had many new sketches in it) were taken. All the sketches I first posted a long time ago were in that same book as well. I'm pretty upset because those books had pretty substantial sentimental value. I guess I've learned my lesson to not leave book bags on the passenger seat. I looked all around the area to see if they just took the stuff they wanted and ditched the bag, but I was unlucky. I also don't think anyone's likely to find the books and then contact me with the info within.

Anyway, that's just what I wanted to tell you all.
________

For the last few weeks I have been backpacking through a few countries in Europe. Currently I am in Copenhagen, Denmark. I'm staying with a friend who owns a scanner and an internet connection so I decided to share some of the drawings I've done since I took off a few weeks ago. I've edited out some of the pages I didn't like so much. Anyhow, I hope you enjoy!

1. This was actually done right before I left for my trip, I haven't had access to paint since I've been hiking.

2. This page started in Los Angeles (with the cars) and was "finished up" with the markers and people from Amsterdam. I don't have a lot of material from Amsterdam :?

3. These were from my stop over in Heathrow, London. Whenever a drawing is toned in this sketchbook it's almost always coffee. I like to order a scalding hot cup of coffee to use to tone the drawings, by dipping my finger into it and suffering a few brief moments of pain I can slightly improve the composition! (sometimes)

my id photo from Paris, Amelie style. I stopped shaving when I went on this trip and now, two weeks from the taking of this picture, I am fully bearded.

4. Some of my Paris drawings, including one from the train, one from the church in Amelie (I can't spell the name but the English translation is "Sacred Heart," and one I started in the cemetary where Jim Morrison is buried. I didn't go to his grave though because it seemed inappropriate to be a tourist in a graveyard.

Also, I met with our own Elisio in Paris and was fortunate enough to enjoy a cup of coffee and a pastry with him.
Hello, Elisio!

5. When I arrived in Berlin I went to the first art store I could find to pick up a new sketchbook. While I was there, I was inspired by two amazing artists: Mario Tauzin (beware of erotic content if you look him up), and Kaathe Kollowitz, who's soul just pours forth from her incredible etchings and drawings. After that I was a drawing machine! Here are a small handful of the drawings I did in Berlin in a span of about four days, mostly of the people around me.

the following drawings were from Berlin and Copenhagen:

thanks

FRANK
Last edited by Frank Stockton on Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:32 am, edited 4 times in total.

Plognark

Post by Plognark » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:13 am

wow :shock:

matthieu

Post by matthieu » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:29 am

Wow! Great stuff man! Quite pleasant to see some europe drawings on this forum. I especially appreciate those you've made in Berlin. Nice pieces. Hope to see more of your art after your trip. :D

elisio

Post by elisio » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:35 am

hello Frank! :)

you've been productive in Berlin. so? is it as good as they say?
i really like the last spread. good work, as always.
and i'm up for pastry and coffee any time you'll feel like it :)

e.

ps: can't wait for a copy of Sparkle.

Nofret

Post by Nofret » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:45 am

Wonderful as always :shock: I love your combination of sketches, lettering and other patterns you fill your pages with. It enhances the whole design look. Really nice :D

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:03 am

Awesome sketchbook pages!!!! :shock:

jrr

Post by jrr » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:29 am

great work frank, really great work

wendy w

Post by wendy w » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:21 am

Those last few pages are just great.
All there is to say really.
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) Bunny says you need to read

Vince

Post by Vince » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:32 am

Goddamnit, Frank, those are awesome. Hope you're having the time of your life in Europe. I swear, I feel like the biggest hack in the world every time I see your sketchbook.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:30 pm

Man, those are sweet sketches, Frank. And you're looking good there with the beard! Heheh. :)

peng8noodles

Post by peng8noodles » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:51 pm

awesome!! love your sketches :D :D

agent44

Post by agent44 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:41 pm

Sweet sketches, and I liked your other sketchbooks on the website. Makes me want to try doing one.

Phil McAndrew

Post by Phil McAndrew » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:10 pm

Magnificent!

preshaa

Post by preshaa » Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:01 am

The set of gesture drawings (5) are fabulous. Bravo!

dan

Post by dan » Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:29 am

This is some really great work. :D

dan