Tyler's real paintings 100% -- Updated 11-04-05 More Still

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
Tylersaurous

Tyler's real paintings 100% -- Updated 11-04-05 More Still

Post by Tylersaurous » Sun May 08, 2005 12:58 pm

Here are some honest to goodness real life oil paintings I made... they made me realise the speed of Photoshop.. since there is no undo button in real life. Anyways tell me what you think, I would really like to get some opinions on these since I live in Morris, MN (middle of nowhere) and the art community is quite lacking around here( minus the 4 people in my painting class).

Heres a new one I made, this is actually Permanent Marker on gessoed masonite. Then I colored it using and oil/tupenoid wash. Thats a self portrait of me in the corner looking at the public schools of the future, the piece is entitled "Mr. Freire was right" i.e. Paulo Freire's Pedagogy of the Oppressed
the photo loses alot of the detail on the school, but you get the picture.

30x40 canvas

24x30 canvas

24x24 on gessoed masonite board
Last edited by Tylersaurous on Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
i knows it's spelled wrong! i'm just alphabetically apathetic

http://www.tylersaurous.com

Tylersaurous

Post by Tylersaurous » Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:49 am

Look I made a painting over the summer!! Hurray!

elisio

Post by elisio » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:45 pm

geeezzz...
nobody posted a reply? why is that?
ok. i'll do it then.
hello Tyler. sorry to be the one to tell you that but i believe your paintings are not good. far from it. they are currently lacking in composition, form and space, color... and soul...
i can see that you want to get better though otherwise you wouldn't be asking for feedback. so my advice to you is to keep it up, do more preparation for your paintings, do various versions of a same painting to experiment ideas, techniques, composition. and keep posting.
sometimes a good kick in the teeth is a good way to learn.

sorry if i sound too harsh. feel free to disagree with me.

e.

Tylersaurous

Post by Tylersaurous » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:00 am

hi elisio!

thank you very much for responding, I'm glad someone did. I dont know where I am supposed to learn about composition, form and space and color... the teacher of my painting clas just told everyone to start painting and that was about it. We had one lecture about painting, and it just involved him showing us slides of well known paintings and then throwing out some buzz words about each artist. I can't afford to take real art classes at an art school where I might learn some of that stuff. I guess it's a good thing I am a computer science major cause my school sure has a crappy art department.

Umm anyways if you would like to make a more in depth critique on any of these paintings feel free to, it would be very much appreciated. Maybe this will open up the floor for some other people to critique as well... seriously go ahead rip me a new one if you guys want, it will only help me get better!

P.S. I found an old book called The Natural Way to Draw by Nicolaides. I have started doing the exercises in it, so hopefully it will start to pay off. If anyone has any good books to learn from feel free to post them here too.

Frank Stockton

critique

Post by Frank Stockton » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:48 am

Hello Tyler,

How's the midwest treating you?
I don't know what to say about where to go to take 'good' classes, but you should definitely try to hunt down some classes outside of your college. Other than art schools (and even there) it can be really difficult to find a college art professor who is interested or even knowledgable about things like form, color, composition, etc.

As far as some instruction goes, this forum isn't the best place to learn from, neither is a book. As crappy as it sounds, your professor was right about just painting and not worrying about it. If you do get some sort of instruction you'll grow in your abilities far quicker, but no one gets good without just doing it.

As far as a good painting book with practical information, you might want to look into books by Harley Brown, and especially A Proven Strategy for Creating Great Art by Dan McCaw. It's pretty good and very useful at least in lecture form describing to you the principles of light and color, form, shadow, etc.

And about your paintings, I don't think they were entirely without merrit. I like the first piece you put up which shows more of "you" than the others. When you make a piece on your own it's like you've composed a melody, when you try and paint from life it's more like a guitar solo. Your studies aren't very interesting right now, like you're trying to play that guitar solo but you haven't had a lesson. Keep painting though and eventually a lot of the questions you have will answer themselves.

I hope that was beneficial.

keep drawing

Frank

Tylersaurous

Post by Tylersaurous » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:09 pm

Thanks Frank!,

Yeah I really didnt have much choice in the subject matter for the 3 nudes. But I tried to make them a little more interesting. I would get bored in the middle of the class so I would start to doodle in different things with paint just to take a little break. The normal background for all of the nudes was just a red curtain. It was pretty boring so I ended up just throwing different crap into each painting... kind of whatever suited my fancy at the time. One day I felt like painting hands, so I painted all those hands in, another day I felt like painting trees etc..

I plan on plugging away at it, I have started painting for at least 1 hour everynight but usually for about 2 - 3 hours. I havent painted anything from life since the class ended so hopefully my new set of paintings will have more "me" in them.

I'll keep posting and hoping for tips and critiques, Thanks again

P.S. The midwest is nice and quiet as usual, its also full of overwieght lazy impatient jerks but they tend to just hang around the retail stores and malls.

Tylersaurous

More new paintings.... a still life!!

Post by Tylersaurous » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:48 pm

Here is a boring old still life... black and white acrylics on gessoed paper.

Let me know what you think.

Daedalus

Post by Daedalus » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:35 am

Wow.

I dig it!

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:08 am

As still lives go, and it's hard to make a still life interesting, this one's not half bad. Drawing over painting seems to be something that works for you. The school in the first image, the background behind the robot, and the wire-stuff at the top of the last one all improve the pieces they're in.

Jonathon Dalton
A Mad Tea-Party

Jason C-M

Post by Jason C-M » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:47 pm

I'm especially impressed with that first one, T.
Fun for Brains and Eyeballs!
with Drawing a Blank: News from the Drafting Table
http://www.cheeseman-meyer.com

aaron

Post by aaron » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:31 pm

I enjoy your art! So much energy!!!!!!!! Yay!

Tylersaurous

Post by Tylersaurous » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:30 am

Here is a big dump of paintings

These first four are the same still life in different color palletes with different painting techniques tried on each of them
8x10 on masonite

impasto... I normally paint with really thin layers so this was fun. The photo came out pretty cause it was with a digital camera. I didnt use a flash because it made the paint all shiney in one spot.

just normal soft brush, I'm not really sure what the technique is called but it is how I normally paint

this was done with ink and glazes

sgraffito

This next still life is 24x 30 and was an attempt to loosen up my brush strokes and let it look more "painterly." I'm not terribly happy with it, but it is slowly growing on me

narishatar

Post by narishatar » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:10 am

The still life in greens and pinks is great! You obviously understand a lot more than you let on, or more than you give yourself credit for. The brushstrokes in the background against those of the fruits is splendid! I love that I can't quite tell exactly what fruits or vegetables are shown in the picture, but the repeated green shapes create a nice rhythm and unity. The forms in the lower right hand corner of the composition get a little confusing. For example, I see what looks to be a roller or something on the base of whatever the fruits are placed on. Also, there is a large green, seemingly glowing object that seems a bit disconnected with the rest of the piece.
The main thing is, though, that you have learned a TON since your first posts and your change in style is remarkable! Do you have any newer pieces using drawn images on canvas like your first post?

Tylersaurous

Post by Tylersaurous » Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:30 pm

You can see a sketch I did using ink and watercolor pencils over at http://eternalrealms.kortham.net/rakishlad.jpg

It is some concepts art that I whipped up real quick for an Open Source MMORPG that my friend an I have been coding up.

Otherwise I have mostly just been sticking to painting ... :-(
but the Robot Painting and the black & white still life actually dont have any drawing done on top of them. All of that fine detailed line work was done with a paint brush :D

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys! You made my day Narishatar