A New Design

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
davidhopkins

A New Design

Post by davidhopkins » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:38 pm

While I'm not a very good illustrator, I've been trying to improve my design skills. Currently, my website looks terrible. I hate it.

I want to use a similiar layout, but with different colors and graphics. Here's something I did last night...

The lady is "Marsha Elliot"-- the protagonist of a comic book series I'm publishing.

What do you think? Design-wise, does it work?
:: antihero ::

Monk

Post by Monk » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:29 pm

Design-wise it looks like a good start - you may play with it some. I would think about smooshing the type down with the horizontal line and making it justified in more of a defined block shape. Bisecting the character at the waist will add some weight to the composition and some visual importance to the top half of the character. Just my initial thoughts.

Ayo

Post by Ayo » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:36 pm

I'd actually place the white line below her waist...between her waist and knee area. The line could intersect/run behind the main type to add interest.
I can't fly.

Joseph Park

Post by Joseph Park » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:54 pm

You know.. I like this. I like the simplicity, and the way you used the text/fonts.

Jason C-M

Post by Jason C-M » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:08 pm

I like it. I agree that the white line isn't quite right. Needs to be lower. Not right at the waist, though. I don't know how putting it between knee and waist would work in terms of how it affects the type, but it'd be the first thing I'd try.
Fun for Brains and Eyeballs!
with Drawing a Blank: News from the Drafting Table
http://www.cheeseman-meyer.com

davidhopkins

Post by davidhopkins » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:57 pm

Thank you. This feedback is very helpful. I made a few adjustments, including a different color scheme-- instead of the grays and light pink (not that there's anything wrong with pink), I'm trying the browns and light blue. Which do you think looks better?

Joseph Park

Post by Joseph Park » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:02 pm

Wow, now I really like the second one more. I think it's because of the different use of colours.

Dek

Post by Dek » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:15 pm

I like the browns, but the character doesn't really strike me as an anti-hero - if that's what you were going for. Perhaps if the character had a fedora....a jaunty fedora...

Or something. You know.

Unless that's part of the story. If it was - man that'll kick ass :D

Monk

Post by Monk » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:11 pm

A jaunty fedora? What's that from? It strikes me as humorous... :)

davidhopkins

Post by davidhopkins » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:20 am

Sorry. No jaunty fedora, but maybe for special occasions I could put one on her head.

Thank you for the feedback. The new site is up. It's better than the old one... but I'm still not completely satisfied with it. Everyone else's site looks so much better. :evil:

heyitsgarrett

Post by heyitsgarrett » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:24 am

Hey David, that's a great design for just getting started. It's very clean and simple.

The really important thing in a website, above everything else, is to tie everything together. That's what really makes a website look coherent and fluid. You've got the logo, navigation, and body, but there's really nothing tieing it all together.

You could think about some forms or shapes you could make that could connect the elements. In this case, maybe having some vertical lines on both sides that bring the site in from the rest of the window, and then trying to work out the banner and how the logo interacts with the navigation.

Hope this helps somewhat! I can try to explain more and show some examples of some of the stuff I'm talking about too,

G

davidhopkins

Post by davidhopkins » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:02 pm

Thanks. That's very helpful. I understand what you're saying, but I don't quite know how to do it. My web design abilities are rather limited, but I can try to figure it out.