a little help?

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
Phil McAndrew

a little help?

Post by Phil McAndrew » Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:01 am

hey, i don't post much here, seeing that you guys are way above me in the skill department, but i am working my way up there, very very slowly.

anyways, the perspective on these buildings is kinda wacky. you guys are all very knowledgable in this department, so i was wondering if anyone could assist me in de-wackifying the perspective here.....

any ideas?

Phil

Post by Phil » Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:19 pm

Hey dude! I don't have time to draw an example, but I'll just say that you have several different vanishing points--when you should only have one for this picture--unless the setting is a Parisian kind of street with non-parallel buildings and hilly streets.

The lines of the buildings on the left are going to one point,
the lines of the sidewalk are going to another,
and the car and buliding on the right are going to another.

You could choose any of the points, and make all the other lines go there, too! I'll whip up an example later--unless someone else wants to...

Hilarious character, by the way!

Phil McAndrew

Post by Phil McAndrew » Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:21 pm

thankyou, fellow phil. i am grateful for your help and wisdom.

i think i actually knew that i only needed one vanishing point when drawing it up but for some reason avoided doing that. man i am dumb. haha. ive been learning all about perspective and stuff for a couple months now as an illustration major in college, but i am still working on taking what they teach us in life drawing and sticking that knowledge into my comics.

back to the drawing table!

Chevalier

Post by Chevalier » Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:14 pm

I only had time for this:
these are the ones that I saw anyway.

Shama Lama

Post by Shama Lama » Sun Jan 11, 2004 6:07 pm

Besides the vanishing point issue, I see (but I may be wrong, it is your drawing) a problem in scale. Specifically the windows, they seem very small compared to the mental image of windows-in-buildings that I see in my head.

I like the character design your working with but your lines seem forced. A suggestion that I took forever to fully adopt is to loosen up. Let the lines flow!

Please post any revisons you do so we can all see how you progress (if you want)!

neil

Post by neil » Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:45 pm

I think the biggest problem is that you've got two different horizons in the perspective! And neither are at eye level, so that's messing things up quite a bit. It shouldn't be hard to fix.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:53 pm

Phil and Neil are right. Here's an image with the two vanishing points and your two horizons. Just choose one and make the shapes conform to that one.

Phil McAndrew

Post by Phil McAndrew » Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:54 am

i love you all! this has been very very helpful. i will definitely post the fixed version once i get it done.