Lots 'o' Life Drawing (Not suitable for work?)

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
Michael Firman

Lots 'o' Life Drawing (Not suitable for work?)

Post by Michael Firman » Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:56 pm

I've only been out to life drawing four or five times, but I definitely feel it has already been helping my ability. Please offer any feedback you might have:

I'm applying for a bachelor's degree in animation next year, and have a lot of ambition for after college. I'm trying to learn how to express myself and my ideas through a variety of artistic media in the most effective way possible. And by the way, it took under two seconds of lurking this forum for my jaw to drop, great work guys.

Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:33 am

I'm not really the artistic type, so until those more gifted than i, can say anything, i'll give my 2 bits on each one. :)

1.) my personal favourite. Makes you wonder what challenges in life the person has undergone. The wrinking on his forehead was a nice touch as well. :)

2.) same person, i assume... with a chicken... life portraits, eh? i didn't know chicken's eyes do the (XX) thing. :lol:

3.)Nice. What do you use to draw? is this charcoal? once again, i have no artistic abilities whatsoever, so i was wondering.

4.)Woohoo! naked wom-... *cough* *cough* ahem.. i mean.. nice foot.

5.)My Third Favourite one. The shadowing on the back of his neck is cool, plus the way you've shown the spine is also cool.

6.) My second favourite one. not because of the woman posing naked.. Usually people would focus on the item that they're drawing. you took the time to draw another person doing their own work in the background. :) not alot of people do that.

7.)it speaks for itself. :)

8.) ... nice clavicles! :)

I have no idea how to critique art, so take it with a grain of salt... also to the others who are more qualified.. please don't flame me. :)

I did however come to this 2 part conclusion with your drawings.

1.) you're a talented artist, who should have no problem fitting in here.

2.) you seem to be surrounded by naked women, which makes me wonder if i'm studying in the wrong profession. Screw this medine crap! i wanna do what you're doin! :D

Phil McAndrew

Post by Phil McAndrew » Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:23 am

i've been told in the past that the muscles in the back are the hardest thing to draw on the human body and that if you can draw them well then you can draw anything. i usually try to draw models from behind at least once every time i go life drawing for practice, as i see you have done quite a lot here. good work!

Michael Firman

Post by Michael Firman » Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:27 pm

Awesome, thanks for the comments so far.

Stick, number three was actually in conté. The only charcoal piece up there is the one of the man with the overly-defined spine, and you might be able to tell I got quite frustrated with the medium. I tend to use 3B pencil and conté most often when drawing models, but like to experiment in both style and utensil so that I can not only learn more, but keep myself from being bored :)

I used a certain artistic liberty known as "Poultry Insertion" to replace a dowel the model was holding with a dead cartoon chicken. It makes the image more meaningful, allowing you to peer deep into the soul of the man and really disect what it is that makes him think, live, and hold chickens. Or something.

I wouldn't mind seeing what you've doodled, Stick (which appropriately, might be nothing more than a stick).

And thanks Headboy, suffice to say I've noticed the difficulty of accurately rendering the back, and I don't really think I've done that successfully yet. But I can only keep at it, since the models seem to prefer facing away from me, so I'll get there someday.

Edit:
PS Stick, you've still got the potential for constant nudity in your profession. You just have to perform a breast examination whenever possible.

Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:29 pm

Tripwire wrote:Awesome, thanks for the comments so far.

Stick, number three was actually in conté. The only charcoal piece up there is the one of the man with the overly-defined spine, and you might be able to tell I got quite frustrated with the medium. I tend to use 3B pencil and conté most often when drawing models, but like to experiment in both style and utensil so that I can not only learn more, but keep myself from being bored :)

I used a certain artistic liberty known as "Poultry Insertion" to replace a dowel the model was holding with a dead cartoon chicken. It makes the image more meaningful, allowing you to peer deep into the soul of the man and really disect what it is that makes him think, live, and hold chickens. Or something.

I wouldn't mind seeing what you've doodled, Stick (which appropriately, might be nothing more than a stick).

And thanks Headboy, suffice to say I've noticed the difficulty of accurately rendering the back, and I don't really think I've done that successfully yet. But I can only keep at it, since the models seem to prefer facing away from me, so I'll get there someday.

Edit:
PS Stick, you've still got the potential for constant nudity in your profession. You just have to perform a breast examination whenever possible.
anything sexual with my profession goes out with 4 little things in what i've experienced.

1.) Prolapsed uterus.
2.) Fungal Infection.
3.) Syphillis.
3.) Placenta.

EDIT: *cough* i havent' PERSONALLY been introduced to the third one in case anyone was wondering... i've just seen a few cases.............. *cough**cough*

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:31 pm

Tripwire, am I the only one that can't seem to view your images?

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:51 am

It seems to me you are drawing from what you see. However, I notice that most of the better figure illustrators draw from a library of shapes and formulas that they have already grown accustomed to before they sit down to draw from the model. With that said, I suggest you start with basic shapes. Squares, spheres and the like. Get used to drawing them in perspective from an assortment of angles and get a good understanding of how to depict volume in the simplest forms. Once you get that, you can apply those same principles to the human anatomy. Here are some examplesof really good figure drawing. Mr. Chen's work is strong because he has an incredible grasp of perspective and volume in every little shape.

Just get to a point where you can draw the basic human figure out of your head, and then use the model as a reference for position, likeness, and all of the little details you just don't remember. Don't rely on just the model. It's good to remember that in the end you are producing a representation of the figure, and not a photograph.

I probably shouldn't be giving anybody advice on this, since I am not very good at drawing the figure, but I wanted to throw in my two cents. You also have some very good writing, which I saw in the other forum. If you just keep writing stories and drawing for them, I'm sure you'll do well.

Michael Firman

Post by Michael Firman » Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:08 am

Great, thanks for the advice Kazu! I'm drawing all the time now so I'll definitely try to learn the human body as a chain of shapes like you mentioned. That'll probably help me add depth to the figure rendering and a better understanding of what I'm drawing.

Kean, so far... yes. Unless my server was unexpectedly down while you were trying to view them, I don't know why they wouldn't show up for you to see.