Hellboy

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
agent44

Hellboy

Post by agent44 » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:39 pm

Finally dusted off the old water color brushes. I don't like the paper I used. Made it really blotchy. I then tweaked the colors in photoshop afterwards.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:05 am

Very nice, Jake. I love seeing Hellboy pieces that don't have the Mignola style and still look really good. I do have an issue with the perspective on the gun, however. With the angle and position of his left wrist, the gun should be pointing almost straight down and we would see very little of the barrel's opening. Aside from that little nitpicky thing, everything looks great! I love the motion in his pose.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:40 am

Looks great, Jake.

Mmmm. Hellboy... am I the only one that's afraid that the movie will lose something in its translation to the big screen?

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:01 am

Nice work Jake, I like this hellboy alot, I dont think many people that try to draw hellboy do a good job, but you've done a good job.

Kean, yeah, I dont think the Hellboy film will be good (for fans), I have no high hopes whats-so-ever. Maybe thats a good thing though, that way I will be pleased no matter the result.

Joseph Park

Post by Joseph Park » Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:53 am

Very awesome looking Hellboy.

douglas a. bot

Post by douglas a. bot » Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:00 am

Great peice Jake. Really cool.

Hellboy film? I'm excited...but it's never going to match the books. It never could. I think it will hold up though.

d.

peppermint

Post by peppermint » Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:02 am

i think it´s great great great. :shock:

Hupselipup

Post by Hupselipup » Sun Dec 07, 2003 7:19 am

Thats a great picture. Nice pose.

Maybe thats how the gun is suppossed to be and is it meant to shoot people without giving them the idea you're aiming at them.

About that movie. I saw the trailer a few days ago. Ungh. I dont know. It didnt give me a Hellboy feel. Could still be a cool action movie with interesting characters but I dont expect it to come anything near the comic book version. Now that i think about it, Hellboy reminded me of a man in a rubber suit.

davi
Flight Moderator

Post by davi » Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:55 am

great work, i honestly think the gun came out the best.

his shorts almost look like a skirt because of the value, probably because of the paper you used.

neil

Post by neil » Sun Dec 07, 2003 10:57 am

Very nice Jake! Nice blotchy watercolors. I think it would be cool to see his tail curling back into the frame (it looks a bit chopped off?), but I really like it overall.

As for the movie, Ron Perlman seems perfectly cast as Hellboy, and Guillermo Del Toro ("The Devil's Backbone," "Blade 2") has the perfect style to pull this off... I just hope the elments aren't packaged into some kind of corny plot (like "X-Men"). The trailer seems to indicate that Hellboy isn't even the main character (who's this Agent Miles fool?); that's the only thing I didn't really like about it. Otherwise it's a pretty standard teaser trailer.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:38 pm

Hey, don't get me wrong -- I think Hellboy is still gonna be a kickass beat-up-all-the-nasty-Lovecraftian-and-Nazi-monsters flick, just that all that wonderful mood and atmosphere will be lost without those funky single panel deviations that Mignola does so well (which is, in my opinion, the strongest thing about his comics, and something that no other medium can replicate).

The Agent Miles character seems like a plot device to plunk the audience into Hellboy's world (much like Rogue and Wolverine were in the first X-Men movie) -- somehow I don't think he'll be more than a bit player.

Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:04 pm

hellboy?

agent44

Post by agent44 » Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:56 pm

Thanks guys, glad you like the picture, It's a christmas present for someone.

I was skeptical of this Hellboy movie until I saw the trailer. I love the part when Hellboy says, "you missed!" That's totally a Hellboy thing to say and he sounds just how I imagined him to sound.

THat said, I did think the trailer was a bit misleading. THe trailer makes it look more like an X-Men rip off than anything like the Hellboy comics. At the comic book convention I sat in on a panel with Guillermo and Mike which set more of my worries about the movie at ease. Guillermo said this trailer is the "layman's trailer" It's thrown out there to give the average person who's never heard of HB and the gang a little backgound info on what this thing is all about. He said that closer to the release there will be some trailers which he colorfully described, and I can only say will be much much cooler. With lots and lots of monsters.

Guillermo is devoted to this movie, and it has more involvment with it's original creator (mignola) than any other superhero movie I've heard of. I think it'll be great fun.

It's been a long road for me to accept this movie. I stated this earlier on the Hellboy forum in a thread about it:

Boy, I've really gone back and forth on this one, too. Some days I'm really cool with the whole thing and as excited as anything to see the movie and other days I shake my hand in the air and ask, "why...WHY?!!" And I think the reason is, why take something that works great as it is and make it into something else? Like sticking socks on a rooster, some things just shouldn't be fiddled with. But I can see this as something Mignola couldn't pass up, and therefore have accepted it for what it is. I agree with Rick, in that I hope it's a great movie that Joe Public doesn't get at all, however selfish that is. But in the end I'm a little worried that people will think the movie validates the comic, when in reality, it's the comic that gives the movie validation.

I think we all kind of wish for a little Bill Waterson in our favorite creators. We want someone who sticks to their guns and keeps their creation in th purest form. Never giving into the merchandising monster, and just focusing all energy into that little little creation they gave life too. But then we all want a t-shirt with our favorite character on it and it slowly turns into something else and the next think you know you have hellboy pissing on a ford symbol on the back of every other chevy.

davi
Flight Moderator

Post by davi » Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:48 am

the thing is i honestly LOVED blade 2, but wesley snipes was just the fall of that movie, and all the acting had to be based around him

the hellboy acting from the trailer looks alot more interesting

Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:14 am

i looked at your webpage, agent.

very cool, indeed. :)

The Sketch of Hellboy (i looked it up. My ignorance abunds.) is very cool as well.

You should try and get that as a shirt as well, after the pump. Well, if there are no copyright issues or anything that is.