Sketchy McGretchy

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
ThaJinx

Sketchy McGretchy

Post by ThaJinx » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:06 am

Hey hey.

I'm completely freaked out by all of the amazing talent flying back and forth in this section of the forums, and though it really scares the heck out of me to do this, I figure I need to just so that I can remember my starting point. I'd really like to improve in my art, but it's really intimidating to come in here and see such great artwork and then to look back at what you've done and know that it doesn't even compare.

So I figure that the first step in getting better is to get over how bad I am and just start putting up what I've got. None of these are new in any sense of the word, but they're all at about the level that I currently am, mainly because I haven't picked up a pen or pencil in months. No polish, all sketchy and doodly, and here we go. Lord help me.

O sodales, ludite, vos qui scitis dicite michi mesto parcite, grand ey dolur, attamen consulite per voster honur.

Michael Firman

Post by Michael Firman » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:28 am

Hey, don't worry Jinx, I share the same nervousness here. But if you hang around a place like this with so many talented artists, it can only help.

So as your title implies, these are just sketches - I think the best starting advice is to study anatomy/the human form and just practice practice practice. The more you draw the better you'll be. Give http://www.saveloomis.org/ a visit for online instruction, or search for some other tutorials.

Oh, and try drawing on blank paper :wink: I like the variety in the styles you've drawn.

ThaJinx

Post by ThaJinx » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:33 am

Tripwire wrote:Oh, and try drawing on blank paper :wink: I like the variety in the styles you've drawn.
Hooray for doodling on school notes :D Thanks for the tips and kind words, mate.
O sodales, ludite, vos qui scitis dicite michi mesto parcite, grand ey dolur, attamen consulite per voster honur.

Roseparchment

Post by Roseparchment » Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:15 pm

i feel your pain. i'm inferior, too. oh well. i really like how sketchy everything is.
i love the bored-in-school-so-draw-on-stuff quality (lined paper) eh heh.
ok then. i shall stop rambling...now!

-jane

em...

Re: Sketchy McGretchy

Post by em... » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:06 am

ThaJinx wrote:but they're all at about the level that I currently am, mainly because I haven't picked up a pen or pencil in months.
That's the main problem. You need to draw every day, even if it is just rough. Eventually, you will develop "muscle memory" where you can draw objects intuitively without having to analyse every step.

The study of anatomy is a must, even if you intend a more cartoony result - I would recommend the book "Contructive Anatomy" by George Bridgman.

ctiggerrun

Post by ctiggerrun » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:13 am

I really like your Crono, good job.