Help? (Illustration in progress)

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
jess_smiley

Help? (Illustration in progress)

Post by jess_smiley » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:22 pm

I'm working on this picture as part of a local benefit concert and I'd like to get a little help finishing it up. It feels like it's almost there, but missing something, but I'm not sure what. Any thoughts?

Here is the sketch

And the piece so far

Also, I'd like to make some prints of this. Maybe on watercolor with a matte finish. Any recommendations on printers or print methods? I've never printed any of my digital images before and I'd like this to look real nice.

Hyperion

Post by Hyperion » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:09 am

The trees I might make a few different colors like red, orange and yellow, or else a couple of shades of green so that people can make a better connection to them as trees. Also try varying the radius of them a bit, and the same for the circles in your clouds. You can also shade one or two of the mountains a slightly darker color to add more and more depth to the image. Adding these few touches will really make your piece have more of a professional feel to them. This is a fairly hard piece to critique because it is SO stylized, but it definitely works for something along the lines of music festivals. And now that I look at it I would play with the proportions of the head to body ratio, I really like the way you have things sized on your sketch.
As far as printing goes...it all depends on how fast you need it, how big you need it, and for how little you want to pay. Good rule of thumb for printing any graphical arts type media, bigger is better. Go at least 300dpi on your image, and I always set my resolution to inches when I'm working for something that needs to be printed, it makes the size of things much more real world than working in pixels. If you want to print on something as special as like watercolor paper you'll need to find a private print shop, Kinkos sucks for that kind of thing so don't bother.
really really witty quote

jess_smiley

Post by jess_smiley » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:18 am

Thanks, Hyperion. That's really kind of you to help me out.

I'm gonna need to do some digging to find a good printer around here---I'm leery of printing online, since I don't have much control over the end result.

I'll mess around with some colors in the trees and mountains and see what happens. Thanks! It is pretty stylized and I have a tendency to make things flat as can be---I'll mess around some more with spatial relationships.