Character Alice

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
Jade D.

Character Alice

Post by Jade D. » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:32 pm

This is the main character for the comic I'm developing right now.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_7u0564UX_Sk/S ... cter+1.jpg

Criticism and opinions are welcomed. =)

Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:29 pm

I like the proportions of the character, which seems not quite typical "anime" but also "cartoonized" enough to evoke an immeidate emotional response. Two points, though: first, the eyes are just slightly too far apart and do not sit in the same plane - the right eye (on the viewer's left, that is) is a fraction lower than the left eye, and it gives the face a little bit of a splayed look. Second, I'd develop the hair more. Give it more body. Even short hair can be very expressive of motion and mood, and this is one of the main points, I've found, in really enhancing the gestures of a female character.

And one last point, as well: this seems to be done largely or entiely in the computer, and you might find it beneficial to work on paper in the development phase. It's only my opinion but putting a computer between your hand and a piece of art this early in the compiling of a character can result in a limited and mechanistic result. This is not the case here, exactly, but looking at this drawing it seems to me to tend in that direction, and I think it'd be useful to nip that in the bud lest you allow the computer to limit you too much.

I'd like to see more sketches, though. Try a couple that are in the environments the story will inhabit - think of them as "screen tests." You might find it'll help form your ideas as you go.

--M

Jade D.

Post by Jade D. » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:11 pm

Thank you... =)

jess_smiley

Post by jess_smiley » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:28 pm

I like the red stitches on her green pants.

Jade D.

Post by Jade D. » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:02 pm

Here's another one...took me around a few hours. Just wanted to see if I had the patience to finish something like this...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_7u0564UX_Sk/S ... ited-2.jpg

I apologize for the ginormously huge picture.
<><

Agata

Post by Agata » Sat May 02, 2009 12:19 pm

I like details - hair coloring, red stitches, clasp :)