This is what happens when I draw stuff:

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
Phil

This is what happens when I draw stuff:

Post by Phil » Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:21 am

Some sketches and drawings I posted recently at Shane's board.

This guy is a character from a comic I'm working on...

Image...Image
Just for fun.

First panel of a jam comic now in progress at The Drawing Board.

Image...Image
Two panels lifted from the comic with the alligator above... Actually, the first is just a test I did that doesn't have any place in the story. Random situation, dialogue, etc. The second is a real panel.

All of these pics were drawn in Painter on a Wacom. I'm still trying to determine if I can actually draw comics for print this way...
I don't really know if these are a good representation of my 'style.' I don't usually stick with one style for long.
Maybe this project will help me nail it down (at least for a few pages!)

Phil

neil

Post by neil » Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:47 am

All of that looks great! I'm sure Mr. Glines would appreciate the chick with the gun. And it's a rather impressive use of the Wacom pad (I'm sure it would look lovely in print as well).. I'll have to check out that Painter program.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:17 pm

Yeah, these are great! When I first saw these up on the Board, I was really impressed by the natural, fun feel to them. It's really rare to see work like this, where the illustrator's skills are very developed, yet the images are so light on their feet. This is also why I love Enrico's and Jen's work so much. The illustrations are always on the move. Great work, Phil! (Oh, and arrigato in Japanese is enunciated more like arigatto) :)

Neil- Painter is a great program. It was my favorite until Photoshop 7 came along. However, Painter still has the most amazing smudge tool.

If anybody has any questions regarding either of these programs, feel free to ask. I can probably answer most of the questions, but if I can't, our resident digital painting master, Khang, can definitely help you out.

Joel

Post by Joel » Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:41 pm

You had posted this one awhile back....

I LOVE the expression on her face.....super cute...
I also loved the blue pillow character stuff....

Phil

Post by Phil » Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:56 pm

Thanks, gang!
Neil - Is the Shane influence apparent enough? I need to get some images printed and see how they turn out. These were drawn at 300 dpi, and when I zoom in close, the clean lines really aren't perfectly clean, as they would be with a brush full of ink... Hmm.

Kazu - Arigatto, dude. (but is that how it's spelled? I thought I had it as 'arrigato' from a website somewhere...) Anyway, thanks for the thoughtful comments!

Joel - Glad you liked that one. Man, looking at it now, her left (unfinished, btw) leg seems way wonky. I think the foreleg bit is too long. And the dog isn't posed playful enough... Bah. This was a tribute of sorts, inspired by Dean Yeagle. I don't normally go that cheesecakey. :roll:

Hope I don't get pegged as drawing only pretty girls! One of my professors used to get on me for not branching out more with different, realistic looks...

Peace--
Phil

Clio

Post by Clio » Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:55 pm

daaaaamn... gorgeous work! I love the realistic women - can never seem to draw those myself. Your cartoon work is adorable as well!
- Clio