Kev's Sketches [updated 29July09]

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
KevinR

Kev's Sketches [updated 29July09]

Post by KevinR » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:54 pm

Hey everyone,

I started a sketch blog a little while back, in order to keep myself drawing as much as possible. I thought I would post a few of the better ones here. Some of these ideas I plan on developing further in the future. Most of the time when I decide to sketch something I either have a vague idea of what I want, or I just make a few marks on the paper and go from there.

-Kev

Last edited by KevinR on Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:00 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Ben Montgomery

Post by Ben Montgomery » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:25 am

The man with the gun is impossibly tall. I like it.

Also, you should combine the steampunk stuff and the hoverracer stuff into one story.
"Many can Bullshit; few can write."
-- Dr. Gardner, Associate Professor of English, University of North Alabama

KevinR

Post by KevinR » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:59 pm

Ben Montgomery wrote:The man with the gun is impossibly tall. I like it.

Also, you should combine the steampunk stuff and the hoverracer stuff into one story.
Thanks, Ben. I do plan to do more with some of these characters, so you might see more of them in the future. I tend to find it a lot easier to draw images if there's more to them, they have to have a point, and I usually make up a scenario, or story, or situation surrounding that moment in time. I've never been too keen on just drawing random people standing around posing. So this approach usually leads to more ideas, and as such recurring characters.

-Kev

KevinR

Post by KevinR » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:30 pm

Hey everybody,

Here's a couple more sketches. I definitely want to paint these ones up, and possibly do more with the space cadet and his monkey companion, I really enjoyed drawing them.

-Kev

KevinR

Post by KevinR » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:36 pm

More sketches. Various ideas, various mediums.

Kev

KevinR

Post by KevinR » Sat May 30, 2009 3:46 pm

A little while ago I started 'Daily Character', where, as the name suggests, I draw a character every day. Usually a new character, new design etc etc. The idea is to keep drawing, and to draw what I love drawing the most, which is characters.

So here are a few selected characters. To see more you can find them on my sketch blog.

Kev

Disa

Post by Disa » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:47 am

These are fun, cute, and likeable! Nice variation in characters, however ... I feel I compelled to point out that the only two characters of the female variation you've posted so far are of the "cool, skinny, huge rack" type. They both look pretty good and all, but I for one would like to see what different types of women would look like in your style!
And ... I like the little space cadet guy, too - more of him!

KevinR

Post by KevinR » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:59 pm

Disa wrote:These are fun, cute, and likeable! Nice variation in characters, however ... I feel I compelled to point out that the only two characters of the female variation you've posted so far are of the "cool, skinny, huge rack" type. They both look pretty good and all, but I for one would like to see what different types of women would look like in your style!
And ... I like the little space cadet guy, too - more of him!
Thank you, Disa, for your awesome comments. I agree with your thoughts on my female characters, but they are the one aspect of my drawing that I am not happy with, I struggle a bit when it comes to drawing woman, I'm never happy with what I produce. Gotta keep practicing though.

Kev

KevinR

Post by KevinR » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:08 pm

Here are some more of my 'Daily Characters'.

I've recently started having a theme for each week, so that I can have a more focused approach to creating new characters, and not the randomness I had with the first lot of images.

Kev

`

KevinR

Re: Kev's Sketches [updated 21June09]

Post by KevinR » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:00 pm

It's been a long time since I last posted any of my 'Daily Character' images, so there's going to be quite a lot to post here.

A little while back I started producing my characters based on a weekly theme, so you might notice some consistency (at least in theme) through a range of about seven drawings. Themes that have been done so far have included 'Wild West', 'Sea/Ocean' and 'Insect Kids' to name a few.

I do still produce a new character every day, and I'm even thinking about starting a monthly theme. But I'll let you all know when or if that happens.

Kev