Monster Jams!

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
Seth Wolfshorndl

Monster Jams!

Post by Seth Wolfshorndl » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:25 am

Good things come from sketch nights. My friend Dusty came over last week for one, and we came up with a really groovy new drawing challenge. Basically, one guy draws the basic form and layout of a creature, and then we pass it back and forth, taking turns drawing limbs, heads, and details. Then one guy inks it to sort of tie it all together. We call it a Monster Jam. It's amazingly fun, and the creatures look a lot more cohesive than I thought they would.

This dragon was initially roughed-out by Dusty. I drew the head, an arm, and the tail; Dusty drew an arm, leg, and lots of body details. I had a blast inking it... I'm a big fan of drawing wrinkles and cracks, so I really savored this one. We both agree it's the best dragon either one of us have ever made.

The other creature we made is a little more original... the Aqua Yeti. I did the rough plan, the claw, and legs, while Dusty did the head, tentacle arm, and body. He inked it and really went nuts on the details, as usual.

Whattya think?

-Seth
Image Image

Ben Montgomery

Post by Ben Montgomery » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:23 am

I like the chunks missing from the Aqua Yeti. I bet he'd look great with some color.
"Many can Bullshit; few can write."
-- Dr. Gardner, Associate Professor of English, University of North Alabama

KidVideo

Post by KidVideo » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:09 pm

Yeah, i would love to see those colored!

Seth Wolfshorndl

Post by Seth Wolfshorndl » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:52 pm

Yeah, Dusty (NoodlePhish here on the forum) came up with the "battle damage." I think it added a lot to the picture.

One or both us might color these eventually. I'd love to take a crack at them.

Thanks for the comments!

-Seth
Image Image

Seth Wolfshorndl

Post by Seth Wolfshorndl » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:56 pm

Here are some more monster jams we had a blast doing at one of our last sketch nights. The variety is pretty crazy.
I won't list who worked on each one, as that would take forever, but Amber Stone, Randy Rustin, Brad Shipp, Dusty Roberts, Matt Meyers, and I all contributed something to at least some of these...

You all should try doing one of these with some artist buddies some time!

-Seth
Image Image

wendy w

Post by wendy w » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:53 am

These are funky.
Specially the AquaYeti. That rocks.
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) Bunny says you need to read

Seth Wolfshorndl

Post by Seth Wolfshorndl » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:24 pm

Thanks, Wendy.

The other night Matt Meyers and I did some monster jams (just like Dusty and I did before). He started the first one, and I roughed out the second one. We took turns with the different parts, and then inked the one the other guy started. We both like how Ordo turned out quite a bit, to the extent that you may see him a story someday. When Matt added the mushrooms on his back, it just pushed that guy over the edge.

This other guy was just a fun freaky experiment. I like his aquarium bicep, even though it makes no sense. And his mechanical diaper...

Hope you enjoy!
Image Image

Seth Wolfshorndl

Post by Seth Wolfshorndl » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:15 am

Hey, if you want to see even more of these, we just did a fresh batch and posted them over on the JOPLIN SKETCH NIGHT blog.

Thanks for looking!
Image Image