Illustration Work + Fun Stuff

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
Scott Hallett

Post by Scott Hallett » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:17 am

Mike Laughead wrote:I feel like I'm a little bit "all over the place" with my style right now. Does it seem that way?
I think the majority of your stuff is quite recognizable as "you". Variety in style is an appealing quality in an artist I would say. It's good to have an arsenal to tackle different problems as they arise.

Mike Laughead

Post by Mike Laughead » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:49 pm

Here is some more recent work.
This is a calendar header for The Pitch. I guess there was a KISS convention scheduled. My favorite is the guy on the far left.

This was a cover idea for The Pitch. The drawing is of a band called The Wilders. I'm into the colors but they didn't work well on newsprint.

In the end they went with something else. I've been talking to the art director (Zach Trover) about doing more stuff for them in the near future.

And this is a T-shirt design I am working on. Because of the screen printing I did the halftone thing again. You can comment and critique it on Thredless here.

Also, Frank Stockton continues to inspire me. He especially makes me want to add more depth and use better angles in my work. Frank rules.
Mike Laughead

MikeLaughead.com

campy22

Post by campy22 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:13 am

ahahahah Love that Kiss band one!
HAHAH and the skull kid is awesome. I really REALLY like your color work Mike!

Mike Laughead

Post by Mike Laughead » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:19 am

Thanks Pascal. Your work continues to inspire me daily. I have your blog RSS feed on my reader. How fast do you draw in flash?
Mike Laughead

MikeLaughead.com

Mike Laughead

Post by Mike Laughead » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:57 pm

I was just messing around with this. I used a few textures for it. One was a scan of some old paper and the other was a photo of a screen on a window (for the wallpaper stuff.) My wife says that she is creeped out by his smile and the gun. I guess there is some implied craziness/menace there. I think it gives it more character.
Mike Laughead

MikeLaughead.com

KidVideo

Post by KidVideo » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:45 pm

reall cool, i think they're all great, but i really like that last one..Hes got a sniper rifle!? :shock: Glad he doesn't live next door to me.

Mike Laughead

Post by Mike Laughead » Wed May 07, 2008 1:46 pm

Here are the 4 final versions of the Skull Boy shirt design.

It is up for voting on Threadless if you would like to vote for it.
Mike Laughead

MikeLaughead.com

Mike Laughead

Post by Mike Laughead » Thu May 29, 2008 11:42 am

Part 1 of 3 for Guide Magazine. The story is about a girl leaving her village in Italy during WWII when soldiers come to occupy it. I haven't done the other 2 parts yet.

This is a little t-shirt design for a band called Asher in the Rye. I used a brush and ink with a little bit of halftone pattern stuff.

And I recently switched my email address.
Mike Laughead

MikeLaughead.com

Scott Hallett

Post by Scott Hallett » Thu May 29, 2008 1:37 pm

I absolutely love the Italian village one. I think that's a style you should definitely experiment more in!

Phil McAndrew

Post by Phil McAndrew » Sat May 31, 2008 12:40 am

I really like the stuff you've been doing recently, Mike! Top notch!

Mike Laughead

Post by Mike Laughead » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:17 pm

Thanks guys. I am working on the second Italian village one right now. The coloring we be very similar. I hope it turned out.

Here is some more new work.
Here is a cover I did for the Pitch. The one on the left is the final and on the right my preferred version.
Mike Laughead

MikeLaughead.com

agent44

Post by agent44 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:39 pm

Yeah I like your preferred version better. I always love your use of color. This one is no exception.

Mike Laughead

Post by Mike Laughead » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:14 am

Thanks Jake. I was messing around with the color a little on this one. They didn't go with the black skinned kid because they were afraid some people would see it as racist. I enjoy the challenge of drawing characters that have completely black skin. It's a whole different way of looking at the figure.
Mike Laughead

MikeLaughead.com

Mike Laughead

Post by Mike Laughead » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:09 am

Parts 2 & 3 of 3 for Guide Magazine. The story is about a girl leaving her village in Italy during WWII when soldiers come to occupy it. In the end she gives a bible to the German soldier and that same soldier releases her father (a prisoner of war) instead of executing him. Kinda crazy stuff.
Mike Laughead

MikeLaughead.com

Mike Laughead

Post by Mike Laughead » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:25 am

These first two are for an article in Guide Magazine. I'm most proud of the boys rosy cheeks and that fact that I actually looked up the word "flour" in German.

These are some images from my sketchbook. I decided to buy one recently. I do like it in some ways, but I am very used to being able to screw up a drawing on regular computer paper and not worrying about throwing it away. I try to be a bit more careful in the sketchbook. I'm not sure if it helps my art or not.

Mike Laughead

MikeLaughead.com