illustration thread

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
Frank Stockton

Post by Frank Stockton » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:18 pm

ch-ch-ch-ch changes!!!

Hey y'all,

I have this piece I did for MORE magazine earlier in the week--they told me that the girl's pose was too weak. More is, after all, a magazine for older women, so they want things to empower. I was pretty upset at first because I was so happy with the final, and because I don't like doing changes in general.

After I got the email I actually started writing a "how dare you!" email because I was sure that their suggestion having her "either sitting or laying down but not curled up in a ball" was going to ruin both the composition and the story.

I called a friend of mine instead of sending the email to ask advice. "You're not going to like my answer" he said, "but, I think you should just do the changes and then keep the other version for your portfolio. Especially if you ever want to work for them again."

He was right, I'm glad I didn't send the confrontational email. That NEVER works.

Anyway, I reluctantly re-did the illustration with the girl laying down--here it is--and to my surprise, I might like it better... maybe not though. What do you think? it really changes the story anyway.

Oh, I also made some other changes, most notably adding some texture to the piece to make it more "warm" and "inviting" to look at.

f.
"I do not get discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"
--Thomas Edison

http://www.frankstockton.com

nateomedia

Post by nateomedia » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:36 pm

Conceptually, I'm not sure which pose I like better. But, oh! Those feet! That arm! That face! #2 wins for me. And the textures really round out the illustration nicely.

And I dig the racecar from the previous piece. You would make awesome looking comics.

Cities

Post by Cities » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:18 pm

It's not that this one is bad, it's just that I don't know why they'd want to give an impression of the girl as being empowered, when the story is about an obviously unempowered girl struggling with her self-image. I very much applaud your ability to put the email down and walk away. I am very much "write the confrontational email without thinking" type, so I can identify with that gut reaction. Good job :)

Reagan

Post by Reagan » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:54 am

My goodness. I haven't been active here as much as I used to be and look what I miss!!

I'm a bit exhausted so my words are bland, but man, Frank, your work is alive. One of the ways in which I judge art is I ask myself if I can "hear" it when I look at it.

To put it one way, if I were listening to your illustrations right now, it would make my speakers go to 11.

There's something so incredibly fun about your work. Not that it's just fun to look at, but I get the overwhelming feeling that you had fun making it. I see a lot of stuff in it that feels like something I would have drawn accidentally and thought "No, that's not right" thinking that I couldn't draw that way successfully. Except it makes me realize I need to loosen up and experiment more. Man. Thank you so much for sharing your work here.

Frank Stockton

New Yorker, Popular Mechanics

Post by Frank Stockton » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:27 am

Hello,

2 new pieces from this weekend.

1) Aimee Mann for the New Yorker. They said "We really liked the Hitman piece with the smoke holding device, can you do something similar for this?" I said "ok"

2) MythBusters for Popular Mechanics. Adam from the Mythbusters show goes on a rant about modern technology that annoys him. This was a difficult assignment; originally I focussed on one particular rant about cars--then they had him re-write the article to be less about cars. Then I did new sketches and it took the art director 5 days to give me the "ok" to go ahead--Friday night, and asked for the final on Monday (today). Kind of annoying but I'm happy with how it came out.

frank
ImageImage
"I do not get discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"
--Thomas Edison

Muffin

Post by Muffin » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:47 am

oh i love that aimee mann. the hands and arms are so thin, elegant and strong. I also really like the concept with the smoke-like backgroundframe.
In the brain piece i love the colors. very soothing. :)

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:06 am

Wonderful work Frank!

hethe

Post by hethe » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:49 am

Oh man, that Aimee Mann pic is beautiful! Such elegance! Really dig the concept for Adam's rant too. Turned out nice.
"The object of art is not to reproduce reality, but to
create a reality of the same intensity."
-Giacometti

io

Post by io » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:41 pm

Cool! I especially like the color on the brain piece.

Biocreep

Post by Biocreep » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:16 am

Great stuff!

Did you change the tech one? I thought I remembered seeing a more underbite thinking type of mouth, which I thought was stronger. The red plug at the bottom would look a bit clearer if it were turned so that we could see a little bit of space between the prongs for a clearer silhouette, but thats nitpicky.

Aime Mann's right hand is awesome.

Rad Sechrist

re

Post by Rad Sechrist » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:51 pm

I love the shaggie haired guy with the green t shirt.

nateomedia

Post by nateomedia » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:09 pm

Biocreep wrote:Did you change the tech one? I thought I remembered seeing a more underbite thinking type of mouth, which I thought was stronger. The red plug at the bottom would look a bit clearer if it were turned so that we could see a little bit of space between the prongs for a clearer silhouette, but thats nitpicky.
I like the new, more realistic silhouette, but I miss the brown.

Frank Stockton

Post by Frank Stockton » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:01 am

Biocreep wrote:Great stuff!

Did you change the tech one? I thought I remembered seeing a more underbite thinking type of mouth, which I thought was stronger. The red plug at the bottom would look a bit clearer if it were turned so that we could see a little bit of space between the prongs for a clearer silhouette, but thats nitpicky.
Yes, I changed the tech one-- they said that the jaw out looked too much like an old man. I was trying to make him look angry, but when a magazine has an image to uphold, who am I to come in-between. I also changed it to black, which I think is better. Yes, that last part IS nitpicky. But you're absolutely right.

f.
--Thomas Edison

Frank Stockton

Post by Frank Stockton » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:51 am

Lots of stuff due this week. Here are the first four, hot off the presses. I don't even know what i think yet. For Storage magazine, about video surveillance. Boring magazine = weird, barely-related solution.

f.

--Thomas Edison

elisio

Post by elisio » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:22 am

wow. that cop looks hot!! :)

great piece. the multiple viewpoints on the thief are extremely well done and your use of colour is once again impecable.