misc.

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
frak

misc.

Post by frak » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:14 pm

It's been a while. And if you lok at my blog i guess most of these are old news. But my blog offers a lil more insight into what it is. :)

Frankie Franco III
psalm 25:11
www.frakfraco.com
frakfraco.blogspot.com

Frank Stockton

Post by Frank Stockton » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:05 pm

I think you draw well enough to skip doing center-lines and guidelines all the time. Take a chance! this stuff is great...

frank
"I do not get discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"
--Thomas Edison

http://www.frankstockton.com

frak

Post by frak » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:07 pm

Frank Stockton wrote:I think you draw well enough to skip doing center-lines and guidelines all the time. Take a chance! this stuff is great...
frank
LOL thank you. It's just habit i supose. It is how I seduce the pencil and romace the page ;)
Frankie Franco III
psalm 25:11
www.frakfraco.com
frakfraco.blogspot.com

Muffin

Post by Muffin » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:48 am

LOTS of great stuff, Frak. Especially love the huge birds with the tiny men riding them. :)

campy22

Post by campy22 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:48 am

Hey Frak. I agree with Frank on this one( what a surprise!).
But, I think it is more than a habit.
Middle lines, and scratchy lines around your main figure are also a way to hide the fact that you are unsure about your line.
There's NOTHING wrong with that, especially since these look more like researches than anything else.
One thing that a lot of people don't seem to always remember is that whatever you have on the page and that is "seeable" becomes an integral part of the final image.
You can't tell your eye not to look at all the little lines and just see the true figure.

i'm just pointing this out because some illustrators actually use that style as a finished piece. Some children book's artist draw light pencil sketches, use a darker line to bring out the main action lines, and do watercolors over them, and their art is fabulous.

I think as a student, it is a very big challenge to chose the right line and let it live on it's own though, and you should try it. It is scary because all of a sudden, your finished piece is"less" fabulous than your sketch.. that's only because you committed to something. With practice you'll be able to chose the best line, and even your sketching will improve.

You have a lot of GREAT gestural drawings here, you understand form and motion. I'd love to see you take it to the next step....and just tell me to shut up if I speak too much....
(^_^)