girls underwater

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
Frank Stockton

girls underwater

Post by Frank Stockton » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:43 am

Hey guys,

I just finished this illustration for HHMI Bulletin. It's an illustration to accompany a short story they're publishing about some kind of alien race that is "female" and lives underwater.

From their description they were basically humans... so I took it as an opportunity to draw an "attractive" feminine form--something I always want to do but never get the chance to.

Half way through the process they told me the illustration couldn't be too "sexy," so I had to tone things down and make it look more like they're wearing full body suits instead of nude (which makes more sense, and would be a lot more fun to illustrate).

Anyway, here it is. I really enjoyed making it.

frank
"I do not get discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"
--Thomas Edison

http://www.frankstockton.com

Og

Post by Og » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:25 am

Thought the subject said, "Girls Underwear"...

Well, I'm sure everyone will find many interesting things to comment on in this pic. Aside from the obvious charms of these forms, I am drawn to the hair and particularly the right hand of the foreground character. Oh, sweet texture, too...

Yer killin' me, Frank. Roll on.
ImageImage

piratesvscowboys

Post by piratesvscowboys » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:21 am

looks great, nice palette

Scott Hallett

Post by Scott Hallett » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:22 pm

This is really slick Frank. I love the angle you've chosen, really gives you a chance to play with the light streaming into the water. Great stuff.

Biocreep

Post by Biocreep » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:14 pm

Very nice! The hair isn't a choice that I would have made, but its definitely interesting

Mike Laughead

Post by Mike Laughead » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:36 pm

I really love the color on this. And the hair pattern is great, as always.
Mike Laughead

MikeLaughead.com

hethe

Post by hethe » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:08 pm

That pic is very very beautiful. Such beautiful lines and anatomy.
"The object of art is not to reproduce reality, but to
create a reality of the same intensity."
-Giacometti

Josh-Ulrich

Post by Josh-Ulrich » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:38 pm

I really like this over all design. i think the hair style is great, but it's flattening out pretty bad. That may be intentional, but everything else is so three demensional that it draws attention to itself. It seems to be the only abstract form in the piece. The markings on her back, shoulder and arm add to this issue. I'm assuming those are tattoos of some sort, but they look like hair that is plastered to the skin. Also that left hand/forearm is wierding me out.

I just noticed, that fish by her knee cap seems really forced into that spot. I think you could cut it out and it wouldn't harm anything. Just seems really ackward where it's at.

Frank Stockton

Post by Frank Stockton » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:49 pm

thanks for the compliments and feedback, guys.

frank
"I do not get discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"
--Thomas Edison

http://www.frankstockton.com

Tmara

Post by Tmara » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:32 am

They still look like they're nude to me...
Great picture! I don't know the story behind it, but it looks interesting.

I like the way you played with light and shadows and the anatomy looks fabulous.

Muffin

Post by Muffin » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:43 am

i compliment you highly for this, Frank. The hair/tatoo-thing is really cool and I just love how you make me feel when i see your drawings.

I cant explain it better than this:
I see the drawing, and it sees me. And if there was a boss/servant-situation, I'd most definitaly be the servant and the drawing the boss. It would not listen to me if I told it something, it would walk all over me instead, and it does. I love it. :]

campy22

Post by campy22 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:38 am

This is funny..( no, not the image..)
I just posted a reply on Hethe's images telling him how I felt about storytelling, and BOOM, I see your image, and here it is.

The point of view makes you be in the image, the action gives you a sense of what's going to happen, and the whole thing sis charged with drama( not drama in the usual bad sense, but more in the sense of representation of action...

.and, of course, it "looks" good.
By that I mean that your "words"( I compare images to sentences filled with words verbs, etc etc) are all clear to the eye, and you understand everything withing the first second of seeing the image.

This is true for all of your work that I've seen frank.
Another one for the books

If I didn't like your work so much, I think I'd hate you.
(^_^)

nateomedia

Post by nateomedia » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:11 am

Beautiful piece. It's the sort of thing that ends up in my inspiration pile. :) The crabs-eye-view of the viewer reminds me of a similar underwater piece I saw on James Jean's site. I like your use of line on the figures, and flat, graphic shapes everywhere else. I also like how your ink line "chunks up" sometimes. The paper texture works really well and I love the little spots that almost give it a "paint drip" feel.

You did such a wonderful job with the anatomy that I too immediately noticed the left forearm. Perhaps a bit of artistic liberty taken too far? I think the rest of the piece is so strong, most viewers will let you get away with it.

mr cow

Post by mr cow » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:26 am

very nice!

patdzon

Post by patdzon » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:47 am

I love the way you draw the contours of your figures!!! Influential, indeed.