parable anthology cover (edited)

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
mr cow

parable anthology cover (edited)

Post by mr cow » Thu May 03, 2007 10:56 am

since parable pretty much began here on this forum, i thought some of you might like to see what the cover is going to look like (sans type).

the idea is based on matthew 5 :14-16 :

“You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.”

although it wasn't the intention, this did end up becoming a somewhat flight inspired image. i think people will find that parable as a whole will seem fairly flight inspired but at the same time i hope they notice a unique voice of its own. each story certainly holds a positive message and i'm very grateful to kazu and gang for opening doors for anthologies like this to happen. my hope is that the little similarities between the books are looked upon as a respectful influence rather than something that is mimicking what flight has already done.
Last edited by mr cow on Wed May 09, 2007 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Og

Post by Og » Thu May 03, 2007 10:59 am

Wow, Mike, that really looks sharp. Love the spirally cloud forms, and the greens and aquas.

Looks like a fantastic world to visit.

Does that imagery show up anywhere else in the book? (ie, is it from a story, or is it solely a standalone image based on that Bible verse?)
ImageImage

mr cow

Post by mr cow » Thu May 03, 2007 11:08 am

thanks, og. it's a standalone image based on that particular bit of scripture, but it's theme- particularly those spirally clouds- will continue throughout the interior design of the book.

kidnemo

Post by kidnemo » Thu May 03, 2007 11:33 am

Excellent, like it lots.

Those are my favorite kinds of clouds, I've been drawing all swirly/curly-cue clouds and fog all the time lately.
Image Image

MG

Post by MG » Thu May 03, 2007 5:32 pm

Sweet! I love the colors and depth of the image. Very slick.

ChadTHX1138

Post by ChadTHX1138 » Thu May 03, 2007 6:50 pm

phew.....thats somthin else. Very nice job. Keep making more like this.
Chad Townsend

Andre Szy

Post by Andre Szy » Fri May 04, 2007 10:05 am

thats amazing work! I like the nice arrangement of detailed areas and open areas.

I was part of this book back in day as well that was called "Proverbs and Parables" Your book reminded me a bit of it since it was also all taken from the Bible.

Good luck with this!!

TmDurn7

Post by TmDurn7 » Sat May 05, 2007 10:46 am

love it!

i really enjoy the color and lighting but conceptually i enjoy the fact that the clouds are at once rendered and graphic

sam

Post by sam » Sat May 05, 2007 12:58 pm

beautiful cover !

mr cow

Post by mr cow » Wed May 09, 2007 8:03 am

thanks everyone! i posted that a little prematurely i guess. i've since made some slight changes on it based on some suggestions from a few of the other parablers (and my wife :wink:).

unfortunately i saved over the old file so you can't really compare, but i've added more focus to the lighted house and the immediate surrounding area- specially in the highlights created from the light beams shining down. there's a slew of other tweaks in there too, but they are far to subtle to even mention.

if you can remember what it looked like before, let me know what you think.

Mikie

Post by Mikie » Wed May 09, 2007 11:13 pm

Very cool. :D

Michael Firman

Post by Michael Firman » Fri May 11, 2007 4:54 am

Mike, that looks grand! Uber-congratulations on how far along you've progressed in skill and accomplishment. :)
ImageImageImageImage

mr cow

Post by mr cow » Fri May 11, 2007 9:36 am

thank you very much fellow mikes!

(firman- that was very kind. :) )

Muffin

Post by Muffin » Sun May 13, 2007 12:29 pm

Wow mike, this is soo so beautiful! I love it. It has a flight thing going a little bit. :) Gotta love that. The colours are very nice and the whole atmosphere is just like I want it to be, - I want to be in that picture.

Only thing to me is that is falling a little bit to the right (don't know if anyone else mentioned that). Just a little bit. Or maybe I'm just sitting in a skew house. :P

Well, no matter - I want this book. Its for a very very good cause, and that verse in Matthew is also very special to me.