Jean Pierre-Junet's next film "Life of Pi"

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
Dan Santat

Jean Pierre-Junet's next film "Life of Pi"

Post by Dan Santat » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:38 pm

I just got word from a publicist friend of mine that Jean Pierre-Junet's next film is "Life of Pi" which was written by Montreal based author Yann Martel. As most of us know Junet did our favorite films like "Amelie", "Delicatessen", "Cityof Lost Children", and "Alien Resurrection" (my personal favorite...NOT)

The book is about a little Indian kid named Pi (son of a zookeeper) who gets in a shipwreck and is then stranded on a small lifeboat for over 200 days with a Bengal tiger, as well as a bunch of other zoo creatures. Pi's imagination then goes all over the place in order to keep his sanity apparently.... Either way, this is definitely my book to read for the holidays and the cover is pretty awesome too.

There's a better explanation of the summary for the book here....
http://www.salon.com/books/review/2002/08/01/martel/

and a strange but cool interactive promo here......
http://hossgifford.com/pi/promo/life_of_pi.htm
Dan is my name. Art is what I do.

Ian Jay
Location: America: The Magical Land of Neutron Bombs, Lean Pockets, And Napoleon Dynamite

Post by Ian Jay » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:28 pm

Okay. I tried out the interactive thing. I really, really, really don't understand what all that was (and I'm a guy who's into Conceptual art, so usually I can find some ridiculous misconstrued meaning in anything). Now, of course, I'm going to have to read the book to find out.

~IJ

deantrippe

Post by deantrippe » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:59 pm

i'm in the middle of the book now. :)

JonS

Post by JonS » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:04 am

SWEET.

love the book. interesting to see how they would try to balance the spiritual side of it and not be tempted to make it into a old-man-and-the-sea/castaway pic....

KingMixer

Post by KingMixer » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:29 pm

I love that director. It should be pretty interesting to see how the book translates to film.