Spiral-Bound by Aaron Renier

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
B Moore

Spiral-Bound by Aaron Renier

Post by B Moore » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:09 pm

I guess the strongest praise I can give this book - aside from saying the artwork, pacing, and book design are delightful - is that I haven't finished reading it yet, because I want to savor it as long as possible.

http://www.topshelfcomix.com/catalog.ph ... &title=295

The plot concerns a town full of animal characters, a monster in the pond, and a mysterious secret that the older generation seems to have (the protagonists are all kids.) Renier has created a rich and detailed universe here, with its own popular bands, stores, traditions, weird workarounds for ungainly animals (a major character is a whale in a sort of giant fishbowl with tank treads), etc.

The story has sort of a young adult mystery feel to it, which makes sense to me after I saw that Renier also drew "The Ghost of Carolyn Keene" (the in-house name for various authors in the Nancy Drew series) for one of the SPX anthologies.

Highly recommended!
Brian
ImageImage

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:54 pm

I finished reading it last month, and completely agree with B Moore. I sits proudly among my favorite graphic novels.
I wish I was better

neil

Post by neil » Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:16 pm

I haven't been able to find a copy of this yet, but I'm eagerly anticipating reading it!

Phil McAndrew

Post by Phil McAndrew » Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:25 pm

I loved this book! It was really everything I could ask for in a comic. I wasn't sure how I felt about it after the first few pages, but by the end of the book it had totally blown me away. I liked it so much, I bought a Spiral Bound t-shirt from Aaron at SPX! I don't buy t-shirts very often!

Joey

Post by Joey » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:01 am

Phil McAndrew wrote:I loved this book! It was really everything I could ask for in a comic. I wasn't sure how I felt about it after the first few pages, but by the end of the book it had totally blown me away. I liked it so much, I bought a Spiral Bound t-shirt from Aaron at SPX! I don't buy t-shirts very often!
Man! I so wish I had gotten that shirt!
Visit the Tragic Planet!

Azzamckazza

Post by Azzamckazza » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:36 am

I bought this today on a whim and am so glad I did. I haven't gotten so into a story like this one since I was eight.

Highly, highly recommended. And so ...funny
ImageImage