FLIGHT

Flight 8 in stores Summer 2011 - www.flightcomics.com
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:43 am 

Big Brother is watching You.
Learn to become invisible.

The Invisibles is my #1 story of all time. I love, love, love, love, love it. Grant Morrison is my favorite writer. The man writes the most complex, interwoven stories that you (can not, actually) imagine. It's collected in 7 TPB's and they're available from DC/Vertigo.

The Invisibles involves 'terroristic' rebels against the regime, forced order, the repeated, structured, boring everyday life. Both sides of the struggle consists of a lot of people. Every Invisible-cell has 5 members. Jack Frost gets recruted for one of those cells because one of that cell's members, John-A-Dreams, has gone missing - he could very well be in the hands of the enemy, switched sides or dead.
Jack receives training from a bum that isn't sane and who also happens to be a magician, Tom O'Bedlam. Or that's what he claims to be. Jack thinks Tom's full of crap because he doesn't get trained at all.

This is only the beginning of the story and, I have to admit that I do not make it sound interesting at all. That's because I suck at writing :D. Don't let it fool you: this book is awesome. Mindfuck-alicious. I love it, but I do not think just anyone would - it has to be your thing, the crazy stories, the outrageous theories. You would probably enjoy this more if you'd take drugs with it (I don't do drugs, so I wouldn't know :mrgreen: ). Reread the books and the experience is even better.

The Invisibles has got everything: magic, aliens, conspiracy theories within conspiracy theories, complexity, theories about the world (which I thoroughly enjoy), transvestite voodoo-magicians, timetravel, 4D, De Sade and, not unimportant, great art (Phil Jiminez draws a big part).

Post subject: his New X-Men work
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:54 am 

New X-Men hardcovers 1-3

In my opinion, the best X-Men story ever written. (But I'm a Morrison fan.) You may disagree, I will not mind at all, but I think this way.
I love the way Morrison throws the entire status quo around with everything he does. the same happened when he took over writing the X-Men -- he even changed the title from just 'X-Men' to 'New X-Men'.
The characters get shaken up, they change from what they have been for 30 years, into something they would've, should've been, were they real: mature. The changes are personality-wise -- Cyclops isn't the wholesome student anymore, Xavier did horrible deeds when he was young -- and in appearance as well -- Beast and Emma Frost get secondary mutantions.
There's a lot happening in these books and I love it.

The artists on this book have been great as well (with a few exeptions). first, we have Frank Quitely who is, in one word, amazing. I love his art. He made Scott 'Slim' Summers actually look slim again. Quitely gives every character a distinct feel; you can actually recognize them.
We also have other artists, the likes of Van Sciver, Kordey (mwah... I don't like his art), Yu, Bachalo, Jiminez and Silvestri. Not the shabbiest bunch you'll ever see.

Love it. I rate this above his JLA work, which was phenomenal as well.

Post subject: Seven Soldiers?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:30 am 

Is anyone reading Seven Soldiers? I am and, personally, I'm loving it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:00 am 

i may be a bit [or perhaps entirely] biased in regards to Grant's work but i like Seven Soldiers, though i think i'll enjoy them much more when it's complete and all the pieces fall together - i like how the '7 weapons' are are, so far, drawing from celtic myth

as for Kordey on X-Men, Kordey is an amazing artist [check out his work on SMOKE from IDW] but anyone, anyone, who does four full issues of comics art in one month - is going to look rushed

ltr

Post subject: hm maybe
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:12 am 

Regarding Kordey, you might be right, but then you shouldn't do 4 comics in one month :? . I think they missed the jackpot when they put him on the book... Opinions, to each his own.

You're biased to Morrison's work, but in which direction: the positive or the negative? I cannot say I'm biased -- I love all his work so I have reason to love the man's work. Sounds circular? I guess so. Anyway, my liking of his work has a foundation - it's no mere bias.
I am liking 7S so far as well, but I also think that I'll appreciate the story entirely when it's completed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:39 am 

Positive, surely.