Earthboy Jacobus- Doug TenNapel

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
WillisDrummond

Post by WillisDrummond » Thu May 05, 2005 3:52 pm

Unfortunately, no, there are no preview pages for the book. There is some promotional flash work on his site's main page.
In Soviet Russia, television watches you.

WillisDrummond

Post by WillisDrummond » Sat May 07, 2005 6:47 am

Picture from when Doug TenNapel and Mike Dietz spoke at my college:

Image[/url]

WillisDrummond

Post by WillisDrummond » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:51 am

Earthboy Jacobus ships this Wednesday, June 8! Finally!

Joe Shig

Post by Joe Shig » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:08 am

Sah-weet.
--Joe.

Reagan

Post by Reagan » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:01 pm

Everyone go buy this book! Each time you buy EBJ, Doug is able to afford one more hamburger. KEEP THE HAMBURGERS COMING. DOUG IS IN OUR HANDS!

Finnegan

Post by Finnegan » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:38 am

loved it! Great job Doug!

=BoB=

Joel

Post by Joel » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:58 am

I can't be entirely sure...I'm just making a guess here....but I think the Chief was a Marine.

Loved it, Doug....rock on!

sideache

Post by sideache » Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:46 pm

Thoroughly enjoyable read! Picked it up, sat down and read it through. Enjoyed the father-son relationship. This science fiction adventure kept me smiling until the last page. Doug's graphic style is a visual feast. He uses silhouette to re-enforce drama a mood like nobodies business. The panel at the top of a page towards the beginning of the book which depicts Chief sitting in half light is absolutely grand.

I enjoyed how the story was segmented into three chapters chronicling the growth and development of the father and son relationship. The parallel universe, Terra Whales, Ectoids, plasma torch, relationships developed via coma communication and hologram are all Great fun! This rates up there with Creature Tech for me.
"I don't need no radio, I got a yodelin' on my noodle-o"

Clank

Post by Clank » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:31 pm

Do you guys think it's BETTER than Creature Tech?

Even if it's not better, I still can't wait to buy it.

sideache

Post by sideache » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:07 am

Clank wrote:Do you guys think it's BETTER than Creature Tech?

Even if it's not better, I still can't wait to buy it.
I haven't decided if it's better, however it is easily just as good. The relationships between the characters within the great adventure would be the thing that pushes it above CT for me.
"I don't need no radio, I got a yodelin' on my noodle-o"

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:46 pm

I just read it and loved it too. I enjoyed this one as much as I did Creature Tech. You can almost see Doug smiling and cheering for his wacky characters while reading it, and I think that love for them is what makes his work so great. My biggest complaint on this book is that it isn't longer. The wonderful world and characters created here need some more time to breathe. I suppose that's more a compliment than anything, but still, I couldn't help feeling that this story could have adequately filled a thousand pages of comics goodness. Anyway, Doug rocks, and as usual, I can't wait to see his next book. :D

Azzamckazza

Post by Azzamckazza » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:30 pm

Just got it today and man this baby is dense. Easily up there with Creature Tech, though I'd say it surpasses it in terms of scope.

I'm with Kazu on wanting more. Plenty of time was spent on the build up but there could have been more and more towards the end. Would have loved seeing more of grown up jacobus' life.. Perhaps I'm just getting greedy.

But over 200 pages pencilled and inked in just over a year? Thats the part I couldn't get over. I was in awe of the quality of it considering how long it took to make.

Only criticism I have is with the very end though.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

Wasn't convinced enough with the relationships to feel satisfied with the shakespearian 'let's partner everyone off at the end!'. Jacobus' mental relationship with Brittney seemed tacked on just so they could pair up in the end and give the possiblity of a sequel-which I found a bit ''meh'

HERE ENDETH SPOILERS

I'll be passing this one onto friends though. I still can't get over how good it looks for how long it took. kinda inspirational
ImageImage

TenNapeltron

Post by TenNapeltron » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:22 am

Azzamckazza wrote:I'm with Kazu on wanting more. Plenty of time was spent on the build up but there could have been more and more towards the end. Would have loved seeing more of grown up jacobus' life.. Perhaps I'm just getting greedy.
In some ways, I agree with you and Kaz, but alas, I'm a family man and this is the limitations of my medium. I knew EBJ would be a sprawling epic, and there was so much story to tell, that I had to chop through it pretty quickly...or I couldn't have told this story at all.

This book already almost put me in the grave...it was NASTY to finish and by the end it was too hard on me and my family, so the work is going to suffer. I've always thought that the greatest artists of all time were terrible family men (at least the ones I studied) because they put their projects above thier loved ones...that ain't me.

I'm hammering out my next book, I've loosely thumbnailed the first third...I'm trying to cut plot out to be more generous with the timing of the story, but it's hard, because the plot is another big honkin' heroic-critter thing.
"Art for art's sake is a philosophy of the well fed." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Michel Gagne

Post by Michel Gagne » Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:33 pm

Hey Doug, I'm really looking forward to read your new book. I thought both Tommysaurus Rex and Creature Tech were fantastic. Your work is an inspiration. The only thing I don't like about it is the fact that it gives me an inferiority complex ;)

TenNapeltron

Post by TenNapeltron » Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:43 pm

Gosh! :oops:
"Art for art's sake is a philosophy of the well fed." - Frank Lloyd Wright