Earthboy Jacobus- Doug TenNapel

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
WillisDrummond

Earthboy Jacobus- Doug TenNapel

Post by WillisDrummond » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:53 pm

Doug has finished EBJ and it will be released May 18 from Image. available for pre-order on Amazon.
Kazu's given it his thumbs up (check the Tommysaurus Rex thread), and I've seen some of the early concept work and know some of the story. It centers on Jacobus, a boy who falls to earth while being chased by some of the evil space insects. He is rescued by policeman, who becomes his father figure. Together, they battle the evil insects who chase Jacobus.

I said it before and I'll say it again, these are some of the coolest bad guys I've seen and, while Doug only told me about it, there's a scene involving some major Biblical/classic story allusions that I can't wait to see.

I think it'll be one of those universally appealing stories with Doug's usual quirk. Lots of heart, lots of action. You can't go wrong with a father/son story, right?
In Soviet Russia, television watches you.

neil

Post by neil » Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:18 pm

Oooh nice, I greedily flipped through his treatment for it. The characters were so cool!

JonM

Post by JonM » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:57 pm

I sadly have not seen anything from the book, but just based on Doug Tennapel's previous stuff I've already pre-ordered this book.

As I command each of you to do the same.
STOP THINKING AND JUST ORDER IT ALREADY!

Finnegan

Post by Finnegan » Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:37 pm

can't wait! :D

=BoB=

PuzzleShift

Post by PuzzleShift » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:35 pm

Same here!

-PS

sideache

Post by sideache » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:52 pm

I pre-ordered a couple of copies because I haven't been disappointed in his work yet.
"I don't need no radio, I got a yodelin' on my noodle-o"

Clank

Post by Clank » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:36 pm

Doug TenNapel is amazing. I can't WAIT for Earthboy Jacobus. I think I would buy it for the title alone.

WillisDrummond

Post by WillisDrummond » Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:03 pm

Doug is coming to speak at my college at the end of April, so my fingers are crossed that he'll bring some preview stuff from EBJ. If he does, I'll tell you everything I'm allowed to.

Info on Doug's lecture can be found here. You can also PM me.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:13 pm

I just saw this. It's freakin' AMAAAAZZZING. I didn't have enough time to read it, but the artwork and concepts and layouts are some of Doug's best work yet. It totally blew me away. It was like seeing Creature Tech's bigger brother. :shock:

TenNapeltron

Post by TenNapeltron » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:44 am

Thanks Kaz, I had a blast at the Nebulus art show meeting you guys again. I also really appreciate you letting me 'in the book' with Solomon Fix. I hear a lot of crap about Flight 2 being emo, and maybe it is, but I loved telling a little story that didn't have to have to serve any other purpose but to entertain a little.

Compare that to Earthboy, where I love ripping into a big fat epic. It doesn't mean I don't like taking a break from that...and Flight 2 was a great break for me.

P.S. I'd to remind my comic-creating peers here that Tommysaurus Rex is up for two Eisner awards. I'd love your support on this one since I'v e been getting a lot of industry shit for my personal politics. Am I the ONLY right winger in comics and can ONE be tolerated?!
"Art for art's sake is a philosophy of the well fed." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:57 pm

Hey Doug, I'm glad you made it out to the show. Solomon Fix is also one of my favorite stories in the book. I've read it over a dozen times and it still cracks me up. :D

And as for your personal politics, I think being able to hear two sides of an argument makes for a much more interesting world. Dialogue is integral to all good things, as long as it's kept honest. I think it's great you're holding the fort on the right, Doug. In fact, I think there are plenty of right wingers in the industry, just not so many as honest as yourself. Good luck with Tommysaurus and the Eisners!

TenNapeltron

Post by TenNapeltron » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:49 pm

...and that's why I love having pals like you!
"Art for art's sake is a philosophy of the well fed." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Joe Shig

Post by Joe Shig » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:52 pm

*happy coupon dance*

Awesome. I can't wait til my comic shop gets Earthboy Jacobus.
--Joe.

WillisDrummond

Post by WillisDrummond » Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:16 am

Doug brought act 2 of EBJ with him when he lectured at my college. You guys don't even know what's in store for you. When Doug said this was an epic, he wasn't kidding. I read about half of act 2 and started to feel tired, possibly because I'd only had five hours of sleep, but more likely because it's so involved. Plot twists left and right involving this amazing father/son relationship. Whew, I think that it's going to make me cry when I read it. And I don't cry that often.

I'm amazed this whole thing was only 272 pages. Doug packed so much action into this thing. Actions you'd expect to get several panels will get maybe 2. Also, the evil bad guy race is one of Doug's coolest character designs yet. Let's hope Image stays on top of things and gets this puppy out ASAP.

T-lapia

Post by T-lapia » Tue May 03, 2005 11:26 am

are there any preview images of this book?